Kane S.'s Reviews > Clumsy

Oct 06, 2014

did not like it

Fuck. This. Book.

Seriously.

This is a godawful piece of shit.

With a glowing blurb on the back cover, written by the great Chris Ware, I expected something at least worth reading. But it's not. It is actually a waste of time.

I hate the style in which this is drawn. It is... unpleasant. It looks like a particularly untalented toddler drew it. And, if that added anything to the story, I would appreciate it. But it doesn't add anything. In fact, when you can see that Brown has made a mistake and, instead of re-drawing the panel, simply scribbled out the error, you can see how much effort was put in to this work. I feel cheated by the artist.

And the actual narrative is astonishing in its blandness. Essentially a character-piece (only because there is nothing else going on), this comic makes it very hard to feel anything for these "characters." I thought, at first, they were supposed to be in junior high. And then, it seemed that maybe the lady-love interest was mentally handicapped (because of discussions of her mental capacities in the story, not because I'm an asshole). But mostly I was just confused.

There was a lot of whining, a lot of crying, and a lot of clinginess. I generally don't believe art requires verisimilitude to be successful, but... Do people really act like this?

Brown confuses cutesy, twee shit for some kind of emotional sincerity. And the sex scenes seem exploitative. Just because you have comic characters giving blowjobs doesn't mean your work is subversive or edgy. Unless it's done expertly, explicit sex in comics can make the artist seem desperate for attention.

1 Annoying Twat out of 5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clumsy.

October 6, 2014 – Started Reading