Jennifer's Reviews > You Belong To Me

You Belong To Me by Mary Higgins Clark

Jun 15, 2010

bookshelves: mystery

You Belong to Me was my first Mary Higgins Clark. She's such a popular and prolific author, I had put off reading her books. I was afraid I wouldn't like them, but what I should have been afraid of was enjoying them. You Belong to Me was an exciting, suspenseful read that made me regret not reading Clark's books earlier.

Susan is a former assistant district attorney turned psychologist and radio host. When she inquires on-air about a missing woman she sets off a murderous chain reaction she never could have predicted. I cared about what happened to Susan, but I also questioned her often. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't follow certain obvious - to me at least - leads. She had a lot of stuff going on, personally and professionally, so ultimately it could have been a realistic portrayal of things slipping through the cracks unnoticed.

Each page of You Belong to Me drew me in further than the last. I could not put this book down. It could be a little repetitive at time, going over certain things two or three different times, but I was so wrapped up in the story I barely cared.

I was in awe of the storytelling in throughout the entire book. I highly enjoyed the way the book was written and that actually stopped my progress on a few occasions. Clark took the full advantage of what writing for print has to offer and exercised freedom that visual media can't compete with. She was able to show the story from multiple perspectives, including the killer's. She showed the actions and thoughts of all the suspects and the killer without letting on which suspect was the killer. You were in the killers head, seeing what he saw and yet couldn't tell which man was guilty or innocent. It was an amazing experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read You Belong To Me.

Started Reading
January 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 15, 2010 – Shelved
October 18, 2011 – Shelved as: mystery

Nivia Bruno The story was so well written, I could not put the book down. Could not guess who was the killer. Loved the book.