The Lost Lola's Reviews > Derby Girl

Derby Girl by Shauna Cross

Jun 15, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: humor, texas, young-adult, roller-derby
Read from May 08 to 13, 2012

Derby Girl by Shauna Cross -- September 4, 2007 -- Hardcover, 240 pages, Henry Holt and Co. (9780805080230)

"I don't know how it happened or what sort of backroom deal went down, but apparently I'm living in a small Texas town with two culturally clueless impostors for legal guardians, when I just know my real parents are out there somewhere."

Bliss Cavendar feels like an outcast in the small, middle of nowhere town of Bodeen, Texas. With her love for Indie rock, thrift store clothing, and dyed blue hair, she doesn't exactly fit in with the other beauty pageant girls, and of course she resents the fact that her mother is trying to force her into the same lifestyle. Then Bliss stumbles across the hardcore, "be your own hero" sisterhood of roller derby, and she finally feels like she belongs. So she straps on some Barbie skates and joins the Hurl Scouts, gaining the nickname Babe Ruthless and learning that sometimes you have to make waves to make your own path in life.

Read more: http://thelostlola.blogspot.com/2012/...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Derby Girl.

05/12/2012 page 150
63.0% "Cute so far, it's actually very similar to Kamikaze Girls, although not quite as well written :)"