Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Brisk Money

Brisk Money by Adam Christopher

bookshelves: sci-fi, short-story

While looking through the stories at TOR.com, I found this gem. It's a NOIR story set in the 1960s, about a ROBOT DETECTIVE. All those things in caps were enough to grab my interest. As soon as I got started I was hooked.

Ray is a robot. With a Bronx accent. He's also a detective who solves the cases the brains of the operation, Googol, gives him. Seriously, she's totally in control because they're connected to the same mainframe. He's a nice enough chap who's pretty good at his job. Even if his memory only lasts for 24 hours and then resets. All his memories are backed up, so he starts every new day fresh. But when a strange man jumps into his car and makes him drive to a warehouse late at night, he's able to remember this fragment even after the reboot.

It's enough to make him wonder. It's enough to make him investigate.

OMG. This is an amazing story. I loved Ray. He's so cool, and really a great detective. Googol is quite the mastermind, and full of surprises. I loved the twist at the end.

This is a great story. I loved it!

I just found out that this is going to become a trilogy called The LA Trilogy. I'll be sure to check it out, that's for sure.

You can read the story here: http://www.tor.com/stories/2014/07/br...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brisk Money.

October 5, 2014 – Shelved