Michelle's Reviews > Masquerade

Masquerade by Georgia Le Carre

liked it

3.5 Stars

Billie Black experienced on night with Jaron Rose, one night that she can’t escape. But after he never called, she continued on with her life until he came back and with a promise that he’d have her again and again. But Jaron holds an air of mystery about him. A wealth that surrounds him without too many clues explain it and more secrets than one man should hold. But that doesn’t stop Billie from wanting him.

With each day they carry on their affair, Billie falls harder. But just as she is about to tip all the way over the edge, she learns the truth about him. Placed in a situation where she has to trust him or walk away, Billie’s faith is tested.

This was my first novel by Georgia Le Carre and it took a little bit to get accustomed to the style of the writing and slang terms that were a little out of my sphere of reading experience. Sometimes that can hinder the reader, but it sort of all came together although there were still a few words that I couldn’t sort out. The writing was solid but I found myself unable to really connect to Jaron or Billie.

It’s difficult to put into words, with the writing being on point I was hopeful going into this that something would click into place for me. But without getting that spark that would draw me into either of the characters, I ended up just reading along without being able to attach too much emotion to it.

The sex scenes were well crafted and pretty damn hot. I am a very visual person when I read, so often times there could be a word or phrased tossed into a scene that disrupts the experience. There were a few times when this occurred and the scene when from crazy hot to luke warm. I wanted to be able to shut down my brain and not focus on those few things, but I failed. I think had I been able to block that out, I could have found much more enjoyment in the story.

I am often torn between the heat of the book and the story being told in the book. There are times when these two things can occur on their own and still be appreciated but more often than not, I need both. The story aspect far outweighing any other aspect. But without that character connection I couldn’t fall into line with the story the way I wanted to.

Although I did not love the story, I did like it. It didn’t come together for me fully, but there were aspects that I loved and a few that just didn’t hit the mark for me. Potential is there for me to continue reading works from this author. With the bits of this story I enjoyed I think it comes down to finding the right book of hers for all the pieces to fall into place.

Images to be added soon.

ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masquerade.

October 5, 2014 – Shelved
October 5, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 8, 2014 – Started Reading
October 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

MELISSA *Mel Reader* Great review Michelle! :D

message 2: by Saffron (new) - added it

Saffron Lovely review Michelle! :)

Michelle Thanks, ladies!