Tasha's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

Jun 15, 2010

bookshelves: books-i-own, read-in-2011
Read from August 21 to 31, 2011

Hmm. Just finished this one- still pondering it.
The writing style was fantastic. The Virgin Suicides was quite the opposite of what I was expecting. The narration is done by a group of boys in the neighborhood that the Lisbon girls grew up in. We never get the girls' POV, which creates a wonderfully eery effect. All in all, a strange book with a haunting concept.

I'm going to watch the movie version tomorrow. I have no idea how this book could be converted into a movie format. The book is based so much on feelings and lyrical descriptions that it seems a film could never do it justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

Quotes Tasha Liked

Jeffrey Eugenides
“We felt the imprisonment of being a girl, the way it made your mind active and dreamy, and how you ended up knowing which colors went together. We knew that the girls were our twins, that we all existed in space like animals with identical skins, and that they knew everything about us though we couldn’t fathom them at all. We knew, finally, that the girls were really women in disguise, that they understood love and even death, and that our job was merely to create the noise that seemed to fascinate them.”
Jeffrey Eugenides, The Virgin Suicides