Foster's Reviews > Digital Masters: Adventure Photography: Capturing the World of Outdoor Sports

Digital Masters by Michael Clark

bookshelves: photography

This was a great introduction to the world of adventure photography. Unlike other authors, Clark doesn't presume that you're up on all the pro lingo. He breaks everything down into easy to understand lessons. It actually felt like I was looking over his shoulder as he worked, it was that clear and accessible.

There were three aspects to the book that were particularly good:
1) Early on, there is a two-page spread of all of Clark's equipment, laid out and identified. It really brings home what kind of equipment is necessary to be a pro adventure photographer (and also allows you to figure out what you think is necessary for your own needs).
2) Clark's description of the hyperfocal distance is the first time I've truly been able to understand that concept. In fact, it was so good that I've realized I need to buy another lens to fully utilize it!
3) Clark is exceptionally honest about what equipment he brings to shoot the various sports he specializes in, and as such I am now confident that I know what I need to get started in the niche I've chosen (backpacking and fly fishing).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Digital Masters.