Bj's Reviews > Ruin

Ruin by C.D. Reiss

bookshelves: arc, 5-stars, mafia-cartel-romance, 2014, romantic-suspense

Wow, the symbolism and depth of the writing is so profound, my mind was doing mental gymnastics throughout this whole read! If you haven't yet had a chance to experience CD Reiss' incredible world, then you are truly missing out. Her writing is in a class of its own. From the suspense filled scenes to the scorching hot, Capo dominant sex scenes, Ms. Reiss' writing is sure to not only keep you mesmerized but will also keep you guessing until the last moment as to where this fantastic read is going. And then, just when you thing you've figured it all out, guess again, as another huge twist is revealed ending in a huge cliffhanger. I can't wait for the next one!

For those of you who are wondering how this book fits in with CD Reiss' popular Songs of Submission series, which has a combined over 40K+ ratings with an impressive 4.23 rating on Goodreads, do not fret, as you don't need to read this prior series before Songs of Corruption. It is, however, essential that you read the first book in this series, Spin, which is fantastic by the way. All that said, there is also some carryover from Songs of Submission as the hero in Songs of Submission is the brother of the heroine of this series, and the characters which are involved in the prior series continue to evolve in Songs of Corruption.

Antonio Spinelli is an Italian-born, Californian transplant, who was born into the Italian mob, but who managed to evade it, until his quest for revenge, and related move to the US, inextricably involved him in its world. Made men can not walk away, but neither can he walk away from Theresa Drazen. Theresa, is an heiress, socialite and the ex-fiance of the District Attorney; exactly the kind of woman that the mob will never accept, but perhaps it is also this detachment that makes her believe that she can save "Spin" from the mob's "corruption."

Their love affair sparks a war of monumental proportions. Moreover, the more she tries to save him from it, the more he shows his old world tendencies to control her, believing it's the only way to protect her, which only causes her to take even more riskier actions to save him. It's a vicious cycle that only ups the level of danger in their world. How will Spin solve this conundrum? Is the only way to keep Theresa safe to leave her, or bring her into the fold as a true partner? But even if he wants to, can a true alpha dom, ever relinquish control enough to be a true 50/50 partner? In the end, who will "ruin" who?

What a powerful story exemplifying the interplay between good versus evil and the old versus new world. Ms. Reiss' writing is filled with parallels that continue to bring these dichotomies to the forefront. Nearly every word, particularly the adjectives, are filled with foreboding and clues. What an incredibly talented writer. I will now forever associate the smell of pine with death! Moreover, the raw passion and overwhelmingly dominant, almost animalistic way, that "Capo" takes what he wants when it comes to his physical interactions with Theresa, is such an incredible turn on, making this series one of the hottest erotic romances I have read in a long-time! I am forever thankful to my Goodreads friends, particularly the Canaries, for turning me on to CD Reiss!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruin.

October 4, 2014 – Shelved
October 12, 2014 – Started Reading
October 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Wow wonderful review BJ! = ))

message 2: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Thank you Sue!

message 3: by Eliza (new) - added it

Eliza Lovely review Bj, glad you had such a great read!

~Stéphanie's Journal~ Awesome review BJ!

message 5: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Eliza wrote: "Lovely review Bj, glad you had such a great read!"

Thank you Eliza!

message 6: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj ~ Stéphanie ~ wrote: "Awesome review BJ!"

Thank you Stephanie!

ღFloღ the coffee addict I really can't read this review right now. I want to go in knowing ZERO....so...I'm just assuming you wrote the most fabulous review...ever. ;D

message 8: by Bj (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bj Flo, I'm with you. With books that have crazy twists, it's best to go in blind. All that said, I always try my best not to reveal any spoilers as the best part of most reads, is the element if surprise. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did: )