Nancy's Reviews > Purple Heart

Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick

2054681
Jun 15, 2010

liked it

I don't like reading books about war, but I feel it's my social responsibilty to try and understand what young men and women go through in these situations. I am glad I read Purple Heart and have come to appreciate the service that Matt Duffy, an 18-year-old young man fighting in Iraq has given our country. Matt is in a Baghdad hospital t recovering from a traumatic brain injury, trying to recall the details and make sense of what happened. Where did the attack come from? Did he really shoot and kill young Ali, a 10-year-old Iraqi boy? Why can't he remember common words, will the severe headaches ever stop? Will he ever be able to walk without dragging his right leg? Through Matt's experience, we see the frustration of dealing with the military procedures, how they are bent and shaped to accomodate differences of opinion and authority.
My heart goes out to young men and women who serve in this way. It also helps me keep in perspective my own small ills and complaints. Patricia McCormick is an author that is able to capture incredible sense of reality and of "being there".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Purple Heart.