Bonnie Brody's Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

it was ok

I loved 'One Day' by David Nicholls and approached this book with enthusiastic anticipation. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. I found the characters dull and prosaic, lacking the ability to to garner my interest.

Douglas, the male protagonist, is a biochemist with as much personality as moss. His wife, Connie is two-dimensional. Once an artist and party animal, she now works in a gallery. As the book opens, Connie tells Douglas "I think our marriage has run its course. Douglas, I think I want to leave you." They have a seventeen year old son named Albie who is heading off to photography school. Connie feels that once Slbie leaves, there will be a hole in the marriage that can't be filled.

Despite Connie's proclamation, the family decides to embark on a European vacation and it is Douglas's hope that he will be able to win Connie back. Things go from bad to worse on this vacation, and the inherent hostility between Albie and Douglas comes to a head, with Albie disappearing.

I just couldn't buy into the story. It had little appeal for me and finishing it was a struggle. I expected more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

October 4, 2014 – Started Reading
October 4, 2014 – Shelved
October 4, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
October 5, 2014 –
page 100
October 5, 2014 –
page 200
October 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Alyse Me too.

Michelle I agree. I was really disappointed as I had been looking forward to reading.

Bonnie Brody I hate to spend all that time reading such a disappointing book.

Andrea "As much personality as moss" right you are my friend, this book was so dull

Leyah Same here for me - also a One day lover.