Eric Mesa's Reviews > The Hidden Power of Social Networks: Understanding How Work Really Gets Done in Organizations

The Hidden Power of Social Networks by Robert L. Cross

bookshelves: grad-school

This book is a must read for anyone in supervision or management. It will change the way you look at your employees' interactions and the relationships they form. There may be hidden networks that are hindering your work. Conversely, there may be hidden networks where the loss of just one person would cause the whole thing to crash like a house of cards.

I appreciated the fact that it was short and kept redundancies to a minimum. It gets to the point and gives you the tools you need to run and evaluate a social network analysis in the appendix. It is full of anecdotes rather than research and helps the manager understand without the boredom of the research.

Strongly recommend to anyone with employees working in teams.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hidden Power of Social Networks.

October 3, 2014 – Started Reading
October 3, 2014 – Shelved
October 3, 2014 –
page 10
4.17% "Just after seeing figure 1, I know this is something I NEED to do in my office."
October 5, 2014 –
page 57
October 6, 2014 –
page 95
39.58% "So useful. Started applying singer of the principles already"
October 7, 2014 –
page 128
October 8, 2014 –
page 160
October 9, 2014 – Shelved as: grad-school
October 9, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Mir (new)

Mir Weird, when you look at the reviews half the people make the book sound as if it were about social media networking and the other half think it was about more traditional interpersonal networks. Does it cover both?

message 2: by Luiz (new) - added it

Luiz Felippe Dear Eric! I have this book and I would appreciate too much if I could get (buying) the MS Excel Spreadsheet in order to obtain a spider chart presented in a page 186 (figure B-6 ..The effect of Predefined Context Dimensions) for the subject Organizational Context Diagnostic (pages 181 to 187). Please, let me know who could give me this support. Best regards! Luiz Felippe (luiz.felippe@engie.com)