C.G. Drews's Reviews > This Savage Song

This Savage Song by Victoria Schwab

Oct 02, 2014

bookshelves: paranormal, read-2016, young-adult, 5-star, best-of-2016, ya-without-romance, read-2017, reread
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2017 to June 20, 2017.

REREAD: JUNE 2017
Because one must reread the most beautiful and dark and deliciously gorgeously written and most painful books of ever because THAT'S THE BOOKWORM LIFE. No no I'm not that deranged puddle of feels on the floor. That's...someone else.

Least to say, this was even better the second time. I am a ball of appreciation for how dark and bloody this book is. And the gorgeous cinnamon perfection that is August, who I still relate to so much. I'm in such thorough appreciation for all his sensory overload scenes because #so #well #written. I just love him and Kate to death. NOW EXCUSE ME WHILE I GO READ THE SEQUEL (which is finnnnnally mine) AND PROBABLY CONTINUE TO SPIRAL INTO DEEP DARK LOVE FOR SCHWAB'S WORK.

Monsters are my favourite.
(Shh it's normal I swear.)

ORIGINAL REVIEW: MARCH 2016.

This book was MONSTROUSLY pleasing. (Get it?!? Because it's about monsters...so monstrously?!? Okaaaaay I'll stop now.) I'm beginning to think VE Scwab can do no wrong. Although I confess I think her adult books (A Darker Shade of Magic and Vicious) were actually better. BUT THIS WAS STILL SO SO SUFFOCATINGLY GOOD.

Where do I even begin?! *screams*

First of all: it's about monsters. I loooove monsters. I LOVE 'EM. It's set in this sort of Gotham inspired world, where two forces are waring against each other, and monsters are eating everyone in between. It's mostly human vs monster, but also a fair bit of human vs human. And, naturally, I loved the comparison of the humans being more monsterish than the actual monsters. Gah, I just love that kind of story, okay?!

But I will fully confess: I found the first 20% really confusing. That is not good. I actually had to stop reading and go read the blurb and only THEN did the world-building start to make sense. #disappointed

And, while we're discussing failings: the story really had VERY little plot. Mostly monsters running around wishing they weren't monster and humans running around being emphatically monstrous. They're trying to avoid wars/stay alive/prove themselves worthy to family... But I honestly expected WAY more, plot-wise.

OKAY BUT ENOUGH OF THE NEGATIVES. BACK TO WHAT I FREAKING ADORED. Let's talk about the entirely amazing phenomenon that is VE Schwab's writing. Omggg. Can it get anymore divine?!? She has this intensely flawless way of sucking me into the story. I can honestly LOSE TIME reading this writing. And the characters leap off the page, so complex and dimensional and tragic. *suffocates with love* Plus, one thing I was REALLY fond of in this book was the representation of sensory overload. OKAY IT WASN'T REALLY THAT. But, as a person who suffers with sensory overload, when August's monster-melt-downs were described I related so much I wanted to cry.
August cringed; the overhead lights were too bright, the scraping of chairs too sharp. Everything was heightened, like the volume on his life was turned up but not in an exciting way. Noises were too loud and smells too strong and pain -- which he did feel -- too sharp. But worse than the senses were the emotions. Agitation and anger burned under his skin and in his head. Every comment and every thought felt like a spark on dry wood.

If you've ever wondered what it's like to live with sensory overload that happens all. the. freaking. time...THAT. THAT IS IT. DESCRIBED SO EFFORTLESSLY I WANT TO JUST THANK THE BOOKISH HEAVENS THAT IS THIS BOOK.

Also the characters were perfect little beasts. I say that with much love, of course. We have two alternate narrators: Kate (a beastly nasty girl who is daughter of a crime-lord and a human) and August (who is a soul-eating monster and adopted-son of the rebels to the crime-lord). August ends up sort of "spying" on Kate at her school and then they get thrown into a run-for-your-life adventure.
KATE: She was so snarky and bitter and CRUEL but in a really forced way?! Not forced written...forced as in she wanted to be evil but it wasn't really her. IT WAS SO TRAGIC AND SAD. She was awful in order to impress her awful dad. I did love her.
AUGUST: Omggg, but I loved him more. This is partially because of the sensory-thing. But August is a monster who wishes he wasn't. AND I LOVE THAT KIND OF TROPE. <3 Also he is entirely adorable and sweet and plays violin and I just want to HUG HIM basically. He was tragically beautiful and marvellous and... okay 'scuse me. I am raving. But not even sorry.

(But there is...surprisingly...no romance. August and Kate do not ONCE have romantic thoughts towards each other. I am so so SO FREAKING ASTONISHED AND HAPPY. A story of unlikely/forbidden friendship!? HUZZAH.)

I'm ever so PLEASED with this book. It was violent and gritty and full of blood. I'm still slightly disappointed in the simplicity of the plot and the ending was wildly open!?!? Not a cliffhanger, but a very very veeery curious call-for-a-sequel. I loved it and I connected to the characters and I had like 9 whole emotions while reading it. A solidly fantastic story I will happily eeeep over eternally.

Monsters, monsters, big and small,
they're gonna come and eat you all...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Savage Song.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Victoria Schwab
“I mean, most people want to escape. Get out of their heads. Out of their lives. Stories are the easiest way to do that.”

Victoria Schwab
“Sing you a song and steal your soul.”

Victoria Schwab
“The beautiful thing about books was that anyone could open them.”

October 2, 2014 – Shelved
October 2, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
March 17, 2016 – Started Reading
March 17, 2016 –
50.0% "THIS BE GOOD. Not a lot of plot? But the characters are tragic horrible messes that I adore."
March 17, 2016 –
80.0% "There's one kind of monster that can level a whole city in rage when they get hungry.\n Also applicable for = me."
March 18, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
June 28, 2016 – Shelved as: ya-without-romance
June 19, 2017 – Started Reading
June 19, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "MY COPY OF OUR DARK DUET JUST ARRIVED BUT I NEED TO REFRESH MYSELF ON THE BEAUTIFUL TRAGEDY THAT IS AUGUST AND KATE.
I LOVE PAIN OBVIOUSLY.
LOVE IT.
*pats pockets and checks for sanity*
*finds none*"
June 19, 2017 –
page 237
55.5% "It was a cruel trick of the universe, thought August, that he felt human only after doing something monstrous.

no no August this is just your author and how she likes to smoosh all of our feels just get used to it my son"
June 20, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
June 20, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 3, 2017 – Shelved as: reread

message 2: by Alyssa (new) - added it

Alyssa Oooh, this looks really good!!! And ... NO ROMANCE WITH MONSTERS???? GOODNESS! I gotta read this! :D

message 3: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Lauren he plays the violin *heart eyes emoji* yes please

message 4: by haley (new) - added it

haley Oh wow, this looks awesome. Great review, Cait. I'll be sure to add this to my to-read shelf.

Vira No romance? I love it already)

message 6: by C.G. (last edited Mar 18, 2016 12:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews IT IS YOU MUST ALL READ IT IMMEDIATELY. (Well. Immediately when it's published. XD) *flails happily*

message 7: by helen❣️ (new) - added it

helen❣️ TBH, I CANNOT WAIT BECAUSE THE BLURB SAYS FOR FANS OF LAINI, HOLLY, AND MAGGIE. [squeals]

C.G. Drews THE BLURB DOES NOT LIE. (Except not really Stiefvater??? But definitely Holly Blackish. *nods*)

Karen (A Simple Cup of Tea) I LOVED this book so much. Just finished it and had to read your review and it all gave me happy fuzzy feelings.
I just want to hug August. All the time.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Karen: Omg I know right?! August is the most precious. <3

Emily Mead YES FOR NO ROMANCE OMG. I loved this <3 <3

Beth The Vampire "First of all: it's about monsters. I loooove monsters. I LOVE 'EM. It's set in this sort of Gotham inspired world, where two forces are waring against each other..."

Shhhhhhh......I'm sold.

message 13: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Beth: HI FIVE.

Mridu  aka Storypals Who can make reading reviews fun and make you keen on picking up books? CAIT!
I just get so excited about reading, about books, about stories, just by reading your reviews!

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Mridu: EXCELLENT. I AM ENDLESSLY PLEASED. And afjsdklad I'm so wildly passionate about books so this just makes my day. <3 <3

Mridu  aka Storypals Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Mridu: EXCELLENT. I AM ENDLESSLY PLEASED. And afjsdklad I'm so wildly passionate about books so this just makes my day. <3 <3"

I literally dropped everything at work and started reading on my kindle! (If this little piece of information adds to it) ;)

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Mridu: *SHRIEKS HAPPILY FROM THE HILLTOPS* Let me know how you go with it?! :D :D

Mridu  aka Storypals Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Mridu: *SHRIEKS HAPPILY FROM THE HILLTOPS* Let me know how you go with it?! :D :D"

It was short stories by Cecilia Ahern and finished the damn book! :P

message 19: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Hi friend me please

message 20: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Grreat review. By the way

Dorielys C. I just started to read this for the first time and I'm so nervous bc everyone says it's tragic and I juST?!

message 22: by Carol (Bookaria) (new)

Carol (Bookaria) Wow, great review, I must read this one then!

message 23: by The (new) - rated it 3 stars

The Chocoholic Just about to read this, so excited!

Stella (Paper Wings) Monsters are my favorite too! So it must be normal...... *laughs awkwardly*

Zenki the Hermit Beautiful review, Cait! I agree. I loved that Kate and August had this non-romance thing going on. And I'm really glad you got to connect with August in that deep sense. It feels really good when you feel represented by a character in a book. It makes you less lonely somehow.

message 26: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Zenki: Aww thanks for this lovely comment! I definitely agree: connecting with a character a lot is rare and special and makes a book seem so real!

message 27: by Evie (new) - added it

Evie Hughes This just inched to the top of my TBR pile!

message 28: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Evie: YAY!

Ronyell Awesome review Cait!!! I really love this book too! I can't wait to read the sequel!!