Bob Milne's Reviews > Sins of a Sovereignty

Sins of a Sovereignty by Simon (Plague Jack) Watts

Oct 02, 2014

bookshelves: fantasy-epic, self-published-fantasy-blog-off

With some time off over the holidays, I'm doing some much-needed house cleaning in the Ruins, taking care of the towering TBR pile before it topples and totals our toddler. While I had the best of intentions, life (as is so often the case) intervened in some major ways that I won't bore you with here.

So, with the end of the year fast approaching, I made the difficult decision to make a clean break and start fresh with the new year. Over the past two weeks I indulged in a little something I call the 50 First Pages Experiment, giving each title 50 pages to make an impression. There were three titles that compelled me to keep reading, and this was one.

Sins of a Sovereignty by Jack Plague was one of my recommended reads to come out of the experiment. This was an interesting twist on the typical epic fantasy, set in a world of racism, chemical warfare, and both magic and mechanics. It's clear from the start that nothing is quite what it seems, with betrayal and conspiracies everywhere. It's a very dark sort of fantasy, and one that looks realistically at the consequences of genocidal war. Sir Clark Pendragon is a damaged old war hero, but a perfect protagonist for such a world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sins of a Sovereignty.

October 2, 2014 – Shelved