Maria Elmvang's Reviews > A Moment of Weakness

Jun 14, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, 3-stars, christian, chick-lit, not-owned
Recommended to Maria by: Nina

I honestly don't really know how to rate or review this book. There were parts of it I loved, and parts where I just wanted to throw the book across the room. I think I'll have to try something new, and do a review in bullet form.

Things I Liked
* The childhood friendship between Jade and Tanner. Very sweet.
* Jade's reaction to meeting God. Brought tears to my eyes.
* Jade and Tanner's friendship 'that summer'.
* Jade and Ty's relationship
* The 'conversations' with God. I always wish I could hear Him that clearly.

Things I Disliked
* The heavy, heavy, HEAVY forshadowing. It almost made me give up on the book already on page 70!
* The blatant moralizing.
* How the evil people were evil, with no remedying qualities.
* The unrealistic judge and courtcase (at least I hope both were unrealistic!).
* Worst of all - how things just got worse, and worse, and worse, and worse, and you could see that it was going to continue downhill (thanks to the lovely forshadowing mentioned above), until finally everything was resolved lickity-split and (as also mentioned above) in a very unrealistic manner. When you end up saying, "Oh, come ON!" as you read the final pages - it is not a good sign.

I don't know if this is standard for Karen Kingsbury, or just specific to this book, so I am going to give her a second chance, because as cringe-worthy as the bad things were, I LOVED the good things, so did end up finding it slightly more good than bad.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Moment of Weakness.

June 13, 2010 – Started Reading
June 14, 2010 – Shelved
June 14, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: 3-stars
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: christian
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: chick-lit
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: not-owned

Rodrigo There is one character that I really dislike: and that is Jim Rudolph. When I first read the book, I really wanted to know why he treated Jade and Tyler like crap. It wasn't until I finished the book that really found out why; for he simply cannot give birth to kids of his own.

And as for Doris Eastman, well, the author lets us know early on in the novel why she detests Jade. Doris lost her own husband to infidelity. These people are characters we can dislike, but yet, feel sorry for.

April Christensen Yes it's a standard of her books to have devastatingly bad tragic loss and things resolve lickity split in an unrealistic manner which is annoying . These kind of tragedies would take time to overcome. They don't resolve overnight . But I still find her books spellbinding and they suck me in . They leave me very emotionally involved and keep me reading but sometimes I have to take a break from her books because they are difficult reads . Sometimes they are simply too depressing .

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan C While the court case and judge might‘ve been unrealistic when this book was written and even when you wrote your review seven years ago, such things are all too common now. The same type thing Jade didn‘t want taught in Ty‘s school, and worse, is now being taught in California‘s public schools. And what about those Christian bakers and florists being fined out of business for refusing to bake cakes or provide flowers for events that violate their religeous beliefs?