Sam! at the bookstore's Reviews > This Lullaby

This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen

bookshelves: 5-stars, re-read
Recommended for: anyone who HATES SPINNERBAIT
Read 3 times. Last read December 27, 2018.

Rating: 5 stars :)

Original Rating: 4 stars

Originally read: May 2014

Reread: July 2016

I bought this book on a whim at a secondhand bookstore and re-read it in one day. I just adore this wonderful book. Even though it semi-follows Dessen's signature plot line, it was also written early enough in her career that there were enough elements to differentiate it from the bunch.

When it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.

Remy has been through a lot in her life, but she's lucky enough to have friends that can get through her thick, stubborn skull and call her out. Truth Squad, of course is just as quirky and disfunctionally perfect as any band starting out, and I love them with all my heart. And who can forget about the cast and customers of Joie's? Ah, salons.
As always, the side characters were just as interesting and dynamic and lovable as the main character(s).

I would love to talk to Sarah Dessen about the character of Remy's mother, the dramatic romance writer Barbara Starr, and her life as an author. I'm so curious! Does Barbara's author life mirror Dessen's? Or are there a couple elements that do? Or maybe Barbara Starr is the writer Dessen always made fun of- the stereotypical author Dessen loves to mock. So many questions!

The fate of your heart is your choice, and no one else gets a vote.

As always, Dessen managed to wrap up the book in a way so that everything, characters, plot, etc., had come full circle. Maybe the pacakge didn't have a cute little bow, but at least it was wrapped. And isn't that all us readers ever want?

Oh, and one last thing -

HATE SPINNERBAIT.

Reread: December 2018

My gods, this is an adorable book. I just love all of the characters, and I wish I lived in a reality where I could meet them all and tell them how awesome they are. A fantastic book! A wonderful, easy, read for a lazy winter break :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Lullaby.

Quotes Sam! Liked

Sarah Dessen
“I am coming to terms with the fact that loving someone requires a leap of faith, and that a soft landing is never guaranteed.”

Sarah Dessen
“No relationship is perfect, ever. There are always some ways you have to bend, to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater...The love we have for each other is bigger than these small differences. And that's the key. It's like a big pie chart, and the love in a relationship has to be the biggest piece. Love can make up for a lot.”

Sarah Dessen
“Love is needing someone. Love is putting up with someone's bad qualities because they somehow complete you.”

Sarah Dessen
“Some things don't last forever, but some things do. Like a good song, or a good book, or a good memory you can take out and unfold in your darkest times, pressing down on the corners and peering in close, hoping you still recognize the person you see there.”

Sarah Dessen
“You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It's not overrated. There's a reason for all those songs.”

May, 2014 – Started Reading
May, 2014 – Finished Reading
October 1, 2014 – Shelved
July 10, 2016 – Started Reading
July 10, 2016 –
page 167
48.41% "I forgot how much I loved this book. :) I feel like Remy is the same character type as the mc of The Unexpected Everything. I haven't read TUE yet, though. Idk, just a feeling."
July 10, 2016 – Finished Reading