Bj's Reviews > The Color of Hope

The Color of Hope by Julianne MacLean

Oct 01, 2014

bookshelves: audiobooks, arc, 2014, 4-and-a-half-stars

*I gave this audiobook a B+ for both the story and narration at AudioGals*

Narrated by Jennifer O’Donnell

First off, given that I generally only review romance, I think it worth noting that Julianne MacLean’s Color of Heaven series is really more women’s fiction than romance. All that said, there is definitely an element of romance sprinkled towards the end of this story for the romance enthusiast which also happens to go along perfectly with this novel’s main focus – familial love and the power of hope.

With that said, I found The Color of Hope to be an interesting, engaging, and somewhat unique story that challenged me to debate a number of moral dilemmas and existential theories. Unfortunately, given that the blurb is rather vague about the detailed, multi-pronged plot, I am pretty limited in what I can say, other than this book centers around two main female characters and their interrelated journey of self-discovery.

Diana, a divorce attorney, has led a privileged life. Raised by a wealthy senator and his loving wife, Diana has been exposed to all the finer things in life and benefited from those advantages. She now lives with a well-known sports agent, and is sure her life is headed towards marriage and children.
Nadia, on the other hand, has led a completely different life. Raised by blue-collar parents who divorced when she was young, she has had the ill fortune of having to learn how to get by with minimal help and resources. At one point, she and her mother were so down on their luck that they had to live out of their car.

What do these two women have in common? How will their lives intersect? Moreover, how can two such different individuals provide hope to one another?

See the full review, including a detailed narration review, at AudioGals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color of Hope.

message 1: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Dyer I loved the previous color books. This has been on my radar for several months. I look forward to your review.

message 2: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Thanks Shannon. Julianne MacLean has a new book in the series coming out soon too. This was my first of her books. I enjoyed it. I guess I just hadn't previously realized that her books are definitely more fiction than romance. Good all the same though: )

message 3: by Shannon (new) - added it

Shannon Dyer Her contemporary books are like that, but her historicals are true romances.

message 4: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj I should have said above that this is my first of her books in this series. I had previously read one of her historicals and enjoyed the romance, so it caught me a little off guard.