Dan Schwent's Reviews > Dungeons & Drag Queens

Dungeons & Drag Queens by M.P. Johnson

Dec 04, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: 2016-books, 2016

When Sleazella LaRuse, Green Bay's top drag queen, gets whisked away to another realm to marry a demi-god, she finds herself in deep trouble. What Dravor, the man who summoned her, do when he finds out she is in fact a he?

While I'd been aware of this book for years, I couldn't resist snapping it up for ninety-nine cents on Bizarro Monday.

Dungeons & Drag Queens is a fun bizarro romp featuring the most fabulous of drag queens in a D&D type fantasy realm. Sleazella struggles to keep things together while having crazy adventures, leading up to marrying a god.

MP Johnson does a good job of weaving the drag queen lifestyle into the story. It didn't feel forced to me and Sleazella was hilarious. I thought the fantasy elements left a little to be desired, though. Either some elements needed to be fleshed out or the book needed to be about thirty pages shorter. Still, Sleazella handling monsters in her own fabulous manner was a nice change of pace. The ending was pretty spectacular, as was the epilogue.

At the end of the day, I'd say I liked the character of Sleazella way more than the actual story. I don't think the tale lived up to the awesome title slapped on it. It was a fun Bizarro tale but by no means the best Bizarro book I've ever read. Three out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dungeons & Drag Queens.

October 1, 2014 – Shelved
October 1, 2014 – Shelved as: buy-this-for-me
November 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 2, 2016 – Started Reading
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-books
December 4, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016
December 4, 2016 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Elyse (new)

Elyse Hot book cover Dan! lol

message 2: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic This sounds weird.
Igor

message 3: by Benoit (new)

Benoit Lelièvre It's provably very weird!!

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars