Jesslyn's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Jun 12, 2010

bookshelves: z2010-kindle-reads, reviewed, z2011-kindle-reads, cat-series-ongoing, cat-urban-fantasy
Recommended to Jesslyn by: I wish I remembered
Recommended for: all Urban Fantasy fans
Read 2 times. Last read June 11, 2011 to June 13, 2011.

Time for a re-read. And it STILL gets 5 stars.

This was a fantastic book and the best book that I've read in awhile-one of those that you don't put down until finished and where you've got this excited feeling in the middle of your chest.
Written in the first person by a 15-yr old, it has a maturity that is not common in today's youth, but nevertheless believable.
While I consider it to be a self-contained story, by the end of the book, there are indications that it could be the 1st in a series. I really, really, hope so because Bryn's voice and story have the potential to become an awesome UF series.
Many female protagonists in today's UF series really irritate me. Despite her age, Bryn displays a maturity, clear and intelligent thought process and subtle, but very clear bad-assedness that a lot of other UF protagonists lack. She is sarcastic, knows her own mind, and her actions remain true to her character throughout the book.
In a glut of UF books that are starting to seem cookie-cutter, this book is a welcome (and VERY good) breath of fresh air.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

Finished Reading
June 12, 2010 – Shelved
June 12, 2010 – Shelved as: z2010-kindle-reads
February 1, 2011 – Shelved as: reviewed
June 11, 2011 – Started Reading
June 11, 2011 – Shelved as: z2011-kindle-reads
June 12, 2011 –
24.0% "I forgot how good this book is..."
June 13, 2011 – Finished Reading
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: cat-series-ongoing
August 27, 2011 – Shelved as: cat-urban-fantasy

message 1: by jD (new)

jD Is this young adult?

Jesslyn I don't know if I am an authority, but I'd say yes. The main character is 15

Nicole I am 13 and i love this book. I couldn't put it down. Like you i am hopeful that this is first in a series.

Jesslyn Book 2 out on Tuesday.

message 5: by jD (new)

jD I think my daughter would like this one but it's $8 on Kindle so it's not gonna happen. Feel free to recommend any YA shifter books in the future.

Jesslyn It may come down again, it was $9.99 when I purchased but worth every penny.

_hoomoo Hey
If your into supernatural romances, you should SO try Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini. It's sequels are Dreamless and Goddess ( godess not out yet)
:D