Anne's Reviews > Dead Heat

Dead Heat by Patricia Briggs
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
1720620
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, arc, kindle, netgalley, read-in-2015, paranormal

4.5 stars

Fantastic, solid, emotional...everything I've come to expect from one of Briggs' novels.
Including a hideous cover.
*shrugs*
Eh, what can you do?

Charles decides to buy a horse for Anna from an old friend, Joseph. He's hoping to use the visit to catch up with him, and finally introduce his wife. The years have gotten away from Charles, however, and Joseph is now an old man. A very sick old man. Instead of a friendly visit, Charles has come just in time to say goodbye.
Oh, the feelings!
The friendship between those two was very well done, by the way. And Joseph didn't feel like a throwaway character that was only there to create a Nicholas Sparks moment.
On top of all that drama, Joseph's family is suddenly targeted by something dangerous. A Fae, who may have been the one responsible for the kidnapping and death of hundreds of children, is on the loose in their area.
Ok. There's this part in the beginning where Joseph's daughter-in-law starts feeling weird, and then she sees a knife, and then she starts getting annoyed with her kids, and then...
I'm not gonna spoil it, but was flipping the pages as fast as I could!

There was so much more that happened in Dead Heat, but it's better if you just find out for yourself.
I'm sure the day will come when I'm disappointed in one of Patricia Briggs' books.
However, today was not that day, and this was not that book.

For those of you who haven't started your journey with Anna (or Mercy), I'd like to give a word of warning to you.
These books do need to be read in order. None of them are stand-alone, so don't attempt it!
Also, I've found that it's a good idea to have food and water nearby, as you will not want to put the books down long enough to find something to snack on.
Personally, I've found that grabbing a pack of adult diapers from Walmart isn't the worst idea, either.
Sure, you turn your nose up at the idea now, but someday you'll realize my genius!

76 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Heat.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

September 29, 2014 – Shelved
January 30, 2015 – Started Reading
February 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carole (last edited Feb 11, 2015 06:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) Great review! I agree with you regarding the cover. I am so glad that I am not the only who thinks the covers are horrible.

I am going to have to disagree with you in regards to the adult diapers from Walmart - that is going a bit far! lol


Anne LOL! But the diapers are a serious time-saver, Carole!


Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books) True...but I don't think I need to save that much time. :)


Anne So you say...so you say...


message 5: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Sure, you turn your nose up at the idea now, but someday you'll realize my genius!

Someday....sure....


Anne I haven't left my reading chair in three days. Ha!
Now who looks silly?


message 7: by Jeff (new)

Jeff *sniffs* That isn't the cat box is it?


Anne Nope.


message 9: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Graphic novels have the benefit of being able to read them on the toilet. Granted it takes about 30 to 45 minutes to read through your average comic collection and you not only have an imprint of the toilet seat on your ass but have to deal with the weird stares from your family. You do however avoid the shame of using adult diapers before your time, which in your case, Anne, is about two or three years off.


message 10: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Ahhhhhhh. 3 more years till I can relax...


message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica Why can't you just read this while sitting on the toilet? That seems like a more sensible DAMMIT JEFF!


message 12: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Are you seriously not taking those butt-rings into consideration?! Painful!!!


message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica Wait, don't we all have super cushy, bun-massaging, heated toilet seats?


✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) I for one never doubted your genius Anne (view spoiler)

I really have to find time to start reading this series. I've only read book 0.5 and thought it was pretty good.


message 15: by Mara (new)

Mara That cover!


message 16: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Mara wrote: "That cover!"

Horrible!! I don't understand what the publisher is thinking. The book is amazing, though.


message 17: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne oOSarahOo wrote: "I for one never doubted your genius Anne [spoilers removed]

I really have to find time to start reading this series. I've only read book 0.5 and thought it was pretty good."


Yeah, but these are actually excellent! Huge difference. HUGE!


message 18: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Erica wrote: "Wait, don't we all have super cushy, bun-massaging, heated toilet seats?"

I have knitted covers for all my toilet seats...'cause it's so sanitary. Lol!


message 19: by Mara (new)

Mara Anne wrote: "Mara wrote: "That cover!"

Horrible!! I don't understand what the publisher is thinking. The book is amazing, though."


Thank god for e-readers...


message 20: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Yep! That's how I read this one, thankfully.


Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Personally, I've found that grabbing a pack of adult diapers from Walmart isn't the worst idea, either.
You crack me up, missy!

I'm really glad you posted this review because this would have been just the book that I would have passed by because of the cover. I may need to give this series a try.


message 22: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne This one is finally out! Yes, definitely don't pay attention to any of the covers of Briggs books. I don't know wtf is up with any of them. BLECH! She's an urban fantasy writer with fade to black sex scenes, so I'm not sure where all the PNR cheese covers are coming from. And beyond the PNR look, they are just awful covers in general usually.


Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ Yeah.....when I look at something like that I immediately go to "not for me" but then this series sounds like something I'd like. I've been wanting to break into more adult urban fantasy since most of the paranormal books I read are YA....and well.....YA.....


Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ And I typically do not like PNR UNLESS it is YA so knowing these aren't is a big plus.


message 25: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Good! I hope you enjoy them. Her Mercy Thompson books were what I cut my UF teeth on, so I got a bit spoiled. She doesn't churn out a ton of books, so each on has a well thought out feel to them, and the more the series (both of them) goes on, the better they get.


Jennavier I'm so glad I didn't get all of these at the same time when I read them back in the day because the adult diapers would be necessary!


message 27: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Right?! I take it you love them too? And, yes, I'm grateful I started reading these before I could binge-read them all at one time. That would have been messy. LOL


Jennavier Anne wrote: "Right?! I take it you love them too? And, yes, I'm grateful I started reading these before I could binge-read them all at one time. That would have been messy. LOL"

I love this series in a way I wouldn't feel comfortable telling my therapist about. They were one of the first urban fantasy/paranormal romance series I came across and they set the bar really high. Whenever I get book burn out these are the books I keep coming back to. Sadly I'm waiting on the library for Dead Heat and it's killing me!


message 29: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne I think we may be twins. I feel the same way about all of these books. I just...they have so much more quality than most of what I read.
Maybe I need therapy, too!?


Jennavier I don't think it's fixable, which I am totally okay with.


message 31: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Lol! Yep!


Tarma The cover of the paperback from Britain is awesome. I declined buying the hardback and have ordered the one from Britain, just because of the cover. :)


message 33: by Anne (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Mercy wrote: "The cover of the paperback from Britain is awesome. I declined buying the hardback and have ordered the one from Britain, just because of the cover. :)"

It does look quite a bit less cheesy!


back to top