Emily May's Reviews > The Girl on the Train

The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins

bookshelves: mystery-thriller, 2015

"Something bad happened."

Are you ready for a faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl?

Woah. This is one unsettling little thriller and the best bit about it is that no one can be trusted, including the three female narrators who share the storytelling of this book. I literally read this entire novel in one sitting and I now need to find the words to convince you to go get your hands on it. RIGHT NOW.

Between an alcoholic, a liar and a cheat, who can you trust? These are the three women at the centre of this book: Rachel, Anna and Megan.

Have you ever sat on the train, glanced at the people around you or out of the window, and made up stories about them? Maybe you've even gone so far as to invent names for these people and imagine their perfect or not-so-perfect lives.

Rachel is that girl on the train who takes her mind off her own life by imagining the lives of others. Specifically the lives of "Jess and Jason" who live at the house outside her train window when the train stops at the same red signal every morning. But then one morning, things are not as they are supposed to be and Rachel sees something that completely shatters the "Jess and Jason" image which exists in her head.

Now she is pulled into their lives. Unsure exactly what she knows but certain she cannot rest until she finds out.

This book is just full of secrets. Everyone has them. It's about all the little mysteries that exist just outside of what we see on the surface. What goes on behind closed doors? How much can you ever really know a person? What horrors exist in that black spot of your memory from Saturday night?

It was fascinating, gripping and oh so very creepy. Hawkins has been added to the small group of thriller authors on my "must buy" list.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Tumblr

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl on the Train.

September 28, 2014 – Shelved
January 11, 2015 – Started Reading
January 11, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 180 (180 new)

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah So damn psyched for this now. To the top of the TBR with you, book!

Nahiyan Asadullah Is it available online for free?

Emily May Nahiyan wrote: "Is it available online for free?"

I'm sure ARCs were available but maybe not anymore. I bought my copy in the store.

Mike I enjoyed this one very much as well but I wasn't completely sold on the ending, although Rachel's little "twists" salvaged it for me. A very compelling read and I'll be looking forward to what Hawkins does in the future as well. Glad you enjoyed this one.

hayden TOP OF TBR!

TL sounds really good, great review:)

Mindy Nice review! I can't wait for this one!

Danielle Yes!!! So glad you enjoyed it- I'm excited about this one!!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Next on my list - great review Emily

message 10: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Thanks for such great reviews Emily. I probably would have passed on this book until reading your review. Keep up the great work!

message 11: by Erika (new) - rated it 1 star

Erika Faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl? Count me in!

message 12: by Phil (new) - added it

Phil Jones Excellent review as usual Emily..I think this has to go on my TBR list, so thanks for the review

Emily May Thank you, everyone! I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did XD

Nahiyan Asadullah Oh I so want to read this now!
thanks for the review, Emily :)

Kelesea Super excited to read this now, Em! Great review! :D

message 16: by Anne (new)

Anne Great review! This looks interesting. :)

message 17: by Fadeela (new) - added it

Fadeela Nice review Emily

Sidney Have had this ARC in my pile for a couple of months; will now pull it to the top because of your review! Hope to start and finish it tomorrow! Thanks for the informative review!

Emily May Thank you! Hope you love it too :)

Melissa Can't wait to read it! Starting it tomorrow!!!

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) Just finished it, review to come! Talk about twists at every corner.

Kasia "Are you ready for a faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl?" you read my mind and yes pls!!!

message 23: by Soplada (new)

Soplada have to read!

message 24: by Lia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lia if this was faster paced, I can't imagine what gone girl would be like!

message 25: by Mila (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mila I thought this was better than Gone Girl. The characters resonated with me more. As messed up as she was, I liked Megan. She had issues on top of more issues, but I thought she had a good heart for the most part. She eventually tried to atone for the poor decisions she made. Unfortunately . . . too little, too late. I felt sorry for Rachel. I have to admit that her blind stupidity annoyed me at times. I also found myself getting upset when she wouldn't stand up for herself. She was a living, breathing punching bag and sometimes I just wanted her to stop being so goddamn weak, but I truly felt for her. I hated Anna and found her to be unsympathetic. She was a narcissist. I guessed the "whodunnit" correctly early on, though. It was predictable but worth the read.

Emily May I guessed the whodunnit too but I liked how the book was made up of a bunch of small mysteries about the characters that all entwined. Also agree it was better than Gone Girl.

Emily May Lia wrote: "if this was faster paced, I can't imagine what gone girl would be like!"

LOL. Guess you didn't like it? And yeah, Gone Girl was soooo sloooow for me :)

message 28: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace Varkey I hear the author is getting a movie deal. I once sat beside a producer on an airplane who said that even before buying a book, they think about who will play the characters. I wonder who will play the three women. But more to the point, I wonder if the script will be true to the book.

Emily May Ace wrote: "I hear the author is getting a movie deal. I once sat beside a producer on an airplane who said that even before buying a book, they think about who will play the characters. I wonder who will play..."

I was wondering what a movie of this would be like while reading it. A lot of the novel is very introspective, dealing with thoughts, feelings and misconceptions, which makes me think it might be hard to capture on film.

message 30: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace Varkey I don't mean to sound jaded, but they will find a way if they think they can make $ out of it. And thereby hangs a tale....

Emily May Oh, I'm sure they will. I just can't imagine it would be very good...

hayden Emily May wrote: "Oh, I'm sure they will. I just can't imagine it would be very good..."

I mean, Gone Girl was very introspective, and they made art out of that....

Emily May I know. I couldn't help comparing it to that in my mind. But I feel like there would need to be a lot of voiceover scenes, telling us the characters' thoughts. Similar to the "cool girl" speech that Amy makes, but more often.

message 34: by Roslyn (new)

Roslyn Just started this evening already cannot put it down. Very smart

Emily May Roslyn wrote: "Just started this evening already cannot put it down. Very smart"

Let me know what you think at the end!

message 36: by Rida (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rida Zainab You had me at "Faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl". Reading this now!

Emily May Rida wrote: "You had me at "Faster-paced, creepier Gone Girl". Reading this now!"

Hope you love it!

Courtney Thanks for your review Emily May! I read this because of you, in 2 evenings. The writer has done so well, making us suspect everyone at different stages!

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire Osborn-woollard spot on review.

retronerd  Steinkuehler Yikes! I can NOT put this book down and it's a beautiful day ouside but I am TIED to this intrigue....

Emily May Pat wrote: "Yikes! I can NOT put this book down and it's a beautiful day ouside but I am TIED to this intrigue...."

Glad you like it!

message 42: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy Excellent review - you summed up the characters and book very well.

Jasmine You really summed up this book perfectly! Between the three women in this book, u couldn't stand any of them! Guess that's what made it even more intriguing.

Christy I just got to page 109 and I'm really like this book.but ya there is a lot of crazy going on.☺

Christy I'm new on here.

Yvonne Anderson I loved it too!!

Kasia I told all my coworkers to read it, they were looking for something to sink their teeth into that wont be sucky. Ha, can't wait to hear them talking about it.

Heidi Nailed it !

Helen Liked Gone Girl better than this one actually. Felt like it took a while for the plot to get going in this one.

Emily May Helen wrote: "Liked Gone Girl better than this one actually. Felt like it took a while for the plot to get going in this one."

Oh really? That sucks :( I actually found this one easier to get into and thought the beginning of Gone Girl was really slow.

« previous 1 3 4