Jagged's Reviews > Carrots

Carrots by Colleen Helme

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-have, kindle

I didn't hate it. In fact, the beginning was very humorous.

The plot is absolutely ridiculous, and in no way whatsoever is it even remotely plausible, but Helme doesn't help things at all. There is no realism to this story. Not one thing that actually takes place in this story felt like it belonged there. It felt very staged (it is, duh), nothing about it felt authentic.

I did appreciate that Helme decided to take the other side of what would happen if someone woke up being able to read minds. I liked the fact that Shelby was hearing things about herself that she didn't really want to hear. It showed the downside. The fact that it got her into trouble was pretty good too.

However, the emotional aspects of this story never reached any sort of potential. It was completely flat. I didn't care how this book turned out. I didn't care if Shelby met a drastic end. I didn't care if she somehow saved everyone's life. I had no emotional attachment to any of the characters.

I didn't really care for Shelby. She's deceitful and a hypocrite. She's desperate for attention and needs everyone else's opinion of her to feel good about herself. There was a scene where she seemed like she had her head on he shoulders when she decides she looks good, no matter what he husband thinks, but then she spends the rest of the book concerned about her weight and looks. She turned out being just like every other female protagonist you have ever read about.

So, naturally, I don't care where this story goes. I won't be reading further.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrots.

September 25, 2014 – Started Reading