Elyse Walters's Reviews > Lock In

Lock In by John Scalzi

"Locked In" is the first Science Fiction book I've read all year, (I've read very little science fiction in an entire lifetime).
'John Scalzi' fans have told me this novel is different than all his others. I have nothing to compare. But.., I liked it!!! I was pleasantly surprised at storytelling. It felt like a contemporary
fiction crime thriller. The story takes place in the future... But not so far off -- that I couldn't
Imagine cars driving themselves. ( we have these now).

I find the whole "highly contagious virus" to be scary- and interesting to examine whenever I've come across this topic, whether in a book or a movie.

A virus is spreading across the globe...( flu type symptoms), ... a full blown disease causes LOCK IN. People with 'Lock in', are not able to physically move their body, yet they are fully aware - their brains functioning...struck with full consciousness.
Once this disease has spread and taking over a large critical mass of people... ( known as the
Haden Syndrome), ... it's clear the culture of the world is changing.

Two awesome - standout characters - making this novel very entertaining are: FBI agent
Chris Shane ( new rookie), and Leslie Vann, (veteran agent). The work together on a murder case. They reminded me a little of Bruce Willis and Sybil Shepherd, in the TV show moonlighting. Great dialogue between these male/female characters..,power struggles.. humor..sharpe... witty interacting.

There are deeper themes being explored about moral justice. When people are trying to
find a cure for the disease, there are many people with the disease that just want to be
accepted into society - the way they are.

This world was fascinating, frightening, and somewhat realistic!
Science Fiction.... ""FOR NEWBIES".... (that's me)..., and "OLDIES"!

GOOD STUFF, * Houston*,

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lock In.

September 27, 2014 – Shelved
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
May 30, 2015 – Started Reading
Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Diane S ☔ Hope to start this soon. Good review. Elyse.

Elyse Walters Thanks Ms. Diane! Proud of me....for an anti SCI FI girl? lol. However, I feel like I SCI FI cheated ... (Shhhhh).... Because this story had human beings. They may not have been contortionist , haha, But, a sci-fi about people is easier to connect with then a sci-fi about monsters or machines. ( I think anyway ). lol

Diane S ☔ I like post apocalyptic. Is that considered sic fi I wonder?

Elyse Walters No! lol.

Ok, maybe! I loved Station Eleven And
California. But I didn't think of them at science fiction books.

Elyse Walters No! lol.

Ok, maybe! I loved Station Eleven And
California. But I didn't think of them at science fiction books.

Cecily This is near the top of my TBR, so it's good to read another favourable review.

(How's your ankle?)

Elyse Walters You'll like it. It's not long. I did read the 'pre- reads' before I started.. which I think did help. I knew of this book a year ago from friends who visit our pool soaks often. After listening to our friend talk about this book back then- I knew I was interested... It didn't sound like what I 'thought' to be hard core science fiction. ( now I'm open to try another SCI FI book) Once a year.... Ha!

Michael gave me a few suggestions... and after reading through his list today.. I think Dawn by Octuvia E. Butler looks good. ( see his review .. It's great).

What really surprised me...( I'm not even sure why)... I knew about the plot before I began reading... but I wasn't expecting the storytelling to feel so human- engaging- funny at times.. With witty - dialogue.

The deeper themes... I was already exploring in my own thinking and imagination before I even started this story. I told Michael... That I even thought about
social media...( it's a type of locked in society in itself). we've witness this change in our lifetime. You and I still remember the 'before' times of the influence from technology.
But do you ever think about all our mental connections- soul connections? It's one place ...'everyone's body can be fully accepted.. It's of little importance - I might really be 90 year with an almost non- functioning physical body.

Yikes. lol. I'm not by the way.

Cecily It's interesting you, as one who doesn't much like sci-fi, enjoyed it more than I did. I suspect that's partly because I'm not generally a reader of detective stories.

Elyse Walters Well, I have to go look at your review Ms. Cecily! :)

I enjoyed 'the human bodies' a lot!

Going to YOUR review now!