Bruce Gargoyle's Reviews > Shorts: Stories about Alcohol, Asperger Syndrome, and God

Shorts by Tessie Regan

I received a digital copy of this title from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A young woman with Asperger Syndrome relates humorous anecdotes about her life to illustrate her relationship with God.

This book quickly became unpalatable for me unfortunately. I suspect the "God" part of the title should really be right at the beginning in BIG LETTERS, so the reader knows what they are getting into. I expected some interesting and quirky stories about the author's struggles with alcohol and her experiences living with Aspergers, with some spirituality thrown in. What I got was a few chapters of very funny reminiscences about the author's experiences living with Aspergers, followed by a quick mention of her developing dependence on alcohol, then a whole bunch of anecdotes that were smokescreens for a lot of preachy God-business.

Now we have religion around the shelf. We have plenty of Christianity in fact, so we are by no means offended by or not open to the idea of God-related material in our reading. When it is in every single story and the author insists on telling us what God is really like or how we should be thinking of God and our relationship with the same, however, then we tend to switch off. Particularly when we are not expecting copious amounts of material related to someone's personal spiritual leanings - then it just feels like an unwelcome ambush.

This book had a lot of potential - the author has a very humorous and engaging turn of phrase and until about a third of the way in I was enjoying the reading experience. In the end though, I can't say I really enjoyed the reading experience because of the quantity of God-related stuff and the way it seemed just shoved into the stories, essentially rendering the Aspergers and alcohol related memoirs as just padding for God-chat.

This book will still have a wide audience who will really enjoy Regan's narrative style AND the spiritual content. To those people, I say: Definitely give this book a go because it's funny, light and has an engaging tone that you should find very satisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shorts.

September 27, 2014 – Started Reading