Samantha's Reviews > Shalador's Lady

Shalador's Lady by Anne Bishop

F 50x66
Jun 10, 2010

Read in June, 2010

Well, Anne Bishop has done it again. Another delightful tale of the Blood that's completely engaging and hard to put down, seasoned generously with the heart and wit that make these books so charming. This tome follows the tale of Cassidy, who we met in 'The Shadow Queen,' as she contines to try and rule her demense. Alas, all is not well within her court, and even as she continues to improve the land, she is betrayed from within. Will she falter, or find the strength to overcome the opposition?

I will say this: the book is about 90% pure politics. Generally I loathe such tomes (WoT suffers greatly from this problem in parts), but her characters! The characters are just so likeable, she actually makes politics interesting.

I think its the fact that her characters are just so human, yet more, at the same time, that makes them so attractive. They glare, they loom dangerously, they spout vast quantities of energy, they speak in spooky voices. But at the same time, they make idiots of themselves, they get all snarly, they bitch and moan. And no one's exempt. Everyone, even the most mighty, is at some point a fool. And that makes the characters so much more believable.

All the characters do a lot of growing and developing in this book - in particular Gray. Also, there is quite a large Sceltie presence in this chapter of the 'Jewels' saga. It adds quite a bit of lighthearted fun.

I found the resolution to be both satisfying and amusing. Not much action in the volume, but a great deal of character growth and major world developments. Not a book you'd want to introduce someone 'Black Jewels' with, but a fun and enjoyable read for fans of the series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shalador's Lady.