Sue's Reviews > The Sham

The Sham by Ellen   Allen

bookshelves: kindle, storycartel-com, ya, thriller, comtemporay

I received a free download of "The Sham" by Ellen Allen through Storycartel.com. First of all, I have to be honest as I did not know what to expect from this book. the author,"This book is unsuitable for younger readers; it contains discussions about murder scenes, conversations about sex, and slight profanity." This book is not for the faint hearted as the first chapter is extremely gory, to the point that I nearly stopped...but I am glad that I continued on, as this book proved to be a real gem!

Emily Heath, nearly eighteen years old, wants to leave town, known as "The Sham" with her boyfriend, Jack. She has been planning her escape, ever since she arrived. Emily lives above a greengrocers and works in a convenience store and jam factory.

Emily was at the park when some of the nasty girls from her school started bullying a ten year old boy called Charlie. Emily couldn't move, but was frozen in her place, unable to move and assist the little boy. It was here that she met Jack, who intervened and came to rescue Charlie-The Hero!

But Jack was very sick, he seemed to be suffering from epilepsy,his brain and body were shutting down. Emily took pity on him, and recognized that Jack was different from anyone she had ever known. Jack was Always eating. He was confident but also neurotic and secretive, a loner and didn't share information. Jack is smart and is sensitive to his feelings and others-a gut instinct approach.

Then one of Emily's classmates washes up in the local floods, and all fingers point at Jack, who is now under suspicion of murder. Strange signs were painted across town in a rare dialect.

Emily is now drawn to Jack, to protect and prove his innocence.Emily must decide quickly who and what she trusts, as everyone is on the hunt for Jack.

Great ending, rich characters a book that will definitely keep you guessing right until the end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sham.

September 27, 2014 – Shelved
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: thriller
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: comtemporay
October 6, 2014 – Started Reading
October 8, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Tim.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Ellen.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Mike.

message 4: by Sue (last edited Oct 09, 2014 09:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Maxine. Great book. Now I am starting Black Rose.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Marianne.

message 6: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Stefanie. I believe that this book is listed now under Netgalley. Just saw it there.