Carolyn's Reviews > Us

Us by David Nicholls

19559507

bookshelves: family, relationships, contemporary

Us is the story of a marriage. A journey that begins when outgoing, artistic Connie meets the slightly awkward, conservative Douglas at a party. He ends up walking her home and they spend all night talking to each other. Connie finds she enjoys his company and the stability and caring in their relationship, something missing from her previous relationship with a tempestuous artist. Their marriage survives 25y and it is as their son Albie is about to leave home for University that Connie tells Douglas the marriage is over and she wants to make a fresh start to 'rediscover herself'. Douglas, unaware that their marriage had run out of steam wants to continue with their plans for one last holiday together as a family, a 'grand tour' of the art galleries of Europe.

This is another excellent book from David Nicholls. He is so very good at getting inside the heads of his characters, whether it is the artistic, slightly boho Connie or the somewhat aspergerish Douglas or the emerging young adult Albie trying to forge his own identity. The grand tour of course does not go well. These are three conflicting personalities that should never plan to travel together. Albie would rather be in Ibiza partying with his friends (as would any school leaver). Douglas lacks confidence in his ability to appreciate great art, trying too hard to please Connie and Albie by reading up on the famous paintings they are to see and then spoiling everyone's enjoyment by reciting facts. However, when the tour falls apart they must all face their feelings for each other and redefine their relationships.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Us.

September 27, 2014 – Shelved
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
July 18, 2015 – Started Reading
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: family
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: relationships
July 31, 2015 – Shelved as: contemporary
July 31, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Phrynne I loved this one too.

Marianne Me three!

PattyMacDotComma Hadn't heard of this, but your review has prompted me to add it to my (growing!) TBR list!

Carolyn Hope you enjoy it Pat when you get to it!

My tbr is a lost cause since joining this group. I've accepted that I will not live long enough to get to the bottom of it!