Sue's Reviews > Cocaine Blues

Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

3642045

bookshelves: mystery, australia, read-2014, 1920s

I'm well and truly addicted to this series now. First I read the most recent entry, Murder and Mendelssohn. Now I've read the first book. On to the others. It's possible to see how Greenwood has developed both her characters and her writing style, but it's also obvious that she has had an over-arching theme from the beginning. I also enjoy how she manages to address contemporary themes in the guise of 1920s issues.

Onward to more Phryne Fisher mysteries!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cocaine Blues.

September 26, 2014 – Started Reading
September 26, 2014 – Shelved
September 26, 2014 –
17.0% "Now I'm beginning the series after having reviewed the latest entry for the Publisher. It's fun getting the back story and seeing how the characters meet. I also watched my first episode of the TV series this evening. I think they did an excellent job with the casting."
September 27, 2014 –
100.0% "I'm well and truly addicted to this series now. First I read the most recent entry. Now I've read the first book. On to the others."
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: mystery
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: australia
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: 1920s
September 27, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

message 1: by Arnie (new)

Arnie I really like the TV series and your delightful review.

Jeffrey Keeten As Arnie mentioned, the TV series is superb.

message 3: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Thanks Arnie. I've just watched my first episode of the series and I think they have done a wonderful job with the casting. I plan to read the entire series eventually.

message 4: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Jeffrey wrote: "As Arnie mentioned, the TV series is superb."

I plan to watch all the shows too Jeffrey!

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim Now that I've overcome my dislike of historical mystery series, I probably should read Greenwood. She and I used to work in the same industry and would attend the same conferences, back in pre-Phryne Fisher days.

message 6: by Sue (last edited Sep 30, 2014 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue There are several historical mystery series that I enjoy. This one has a nice tone which adds a lightness in spite of the often heavier undertones. A nice mix which I really enjoy. I can give you other ideas if you are ever looking further :)

PS...may I ask what industry that is/was?

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim Sue, we both worked in community legal centres.

I didn't like historical mysteries for a long time, for no particular reason. However, in recent years I've come to enjoy Laurie R King's Mary Russell series. I've also read a couple of Steven Saylor's novels and a couple of books in a French series set in the 18th century the name of which doesn't come to mind.

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne Sue wrote: "Thanks Arnie. I've just watched my first episode of the series and I think they have done a wonderful job with the casting. I plan to read the entire series eventually."

Hi Sue. I watched the first episode on Netflicks. Fun and kind of camp.

message 9: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I hadn't even checked Netflix. Thanks Anne. Now I can start at the beginning. I just watched what was on PBS.

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue That's interesting Kim. So you both met many different types of people I would assume.

I haven't begun King's series yet but I intend to. I don't know Saylor's books offhand though the name is familiar. I enjoy Charles Todd and Jacqueline Winspear, among others.

message 11: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Anne wrote: "Sue wrote: "Thanks Arnie. I've just watched my first episode of the series and I think they have done a wonderful job with the casting. I plan to read the entire series eventually."

Hi Sue. I wat..."

I just added the series to my Netliz queue, Anne. thanks.

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes Thanks for the Netflix info. I'll watch one tonight.

message 13: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes One episode and I'm addicted to the TV series. The fashions and hairdos alone are worth watching for. Haven't even read the books yet.

message 14: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue I haven't seen the first episode yet but I have seen a couple of others. The style really is excellent and the characters seem well cast. I plan to both read them all and watch them.

message 15: by Sidneymd (new)

Sidneymd Which book in the series would you recommend? I've only read the latest, Murder and Mendelssohn. Miss Fisher is such an inspiring character. I came across the books vis a vis the television series and now that I've read one I have to read them all, but I'm not sure which to read next.

message 16: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue Sidneymd wrote: "Which book in the series would you recommend? I've only read the latest, Murder and Mendelssohn. Miss Fisher is such an inspiring character. I came across the books vis a vis the television series ..."

I'm only one book ahead of you as I read Cocaine Blues after reading Murder and Mendelssohn. I plan to read them all eventually, in order if possible. If you don't want to make that big a commitment, you might want to check through some of the titles and see what story lines interest you. The beauty of starting at the beginning, though, is seeing the development of the relationships.