Catherine's Reviews > Delicious

Delicious by Sherry Thomas

Jun 10, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: 2nd-chance-romance, england, historical, romance, sucked, angst, read-2010
Read on April 01, 2010 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** I think this book would have been better suited to someone who is way more into food than I am. It seemed like every other sentence was rhapsodizing about the awesomeness of Verity's food in excruciating detail. I understand that she's a cook, but by the time I was half way through I felt I was being hammered over the head with the fact that nobody has the magic to cook like Verity. She's special and unique and the angels sing when she cooks. I get it already! Move on!

The plot and motivations of these characters seemed really thin to me. The characters never really got to know each other very well. In all the flashbacks it's just that night of sex. Even if it's the best sex of your life how did you fall in love that night? You hardly spoke to him/her! Maybe you fell in love with his/her body or his/her sexy skills, but I truly doubt you fell in love with the person he/she is. That goes for both of the protagonists.

Also, Verity kept her identity a secret for so long that they hardly had any time to get to know each other. Their current relationship seemed to be based on no more than lust and covetousness of the creator of such awesome food. Yes, that's right. Stuart starts fantasizing about Verity when he has no clue who she is (or what she looks like) all based on her ability to make him taste food again. Right...

***SPOILERS***
Also, their first real interaction together was rather absurd. She decides that as the lowly servant she is, she will use her employer's private bath. Not only will she do that, she will get herself off right there where anyone could find her. Yep, that seems like a rational thing to do. So into that scene walks Stuart. He's mighty turned on, but the agony, he's betraying his fiance! The whole book was kind of like that. A mix of absurd, lust, and melodrama. It just confused me and wore me out. Not a combination I enjoy when I finish a book.

I wish there had been more time spent on Lizzy and Will. I actually liked them. I would have liked to have gotten to know them more though. I also thought that a little more time spent on Michael would have been nice. I wish there weren't so many lies throughout this book. Lies about why she met Stuart in the first place, lies about why she can't stay, lies about her identity (omission counts!), lies about Michael, etc.

I think the biggest cop-out of the story was at the end. All of a sudden Verity has this mysterious background that no one knew about. The Duchess wasn't evil and heartless like we all thought, no, she was misunderstood and always trying to do her best for Verity! Also, suddenly the reasons why Verity and Stuart couldn't marry ceased to be important, although it was never explained why. All those dire things that would come to pass didn't suddenly disappear you know.
***END SPOILERS***

The reason I gave this two stars instead of one was the writing skill. This author really seems to be a great writer, I just wish she would write about characters I liked more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Delicious.

09/09 marked as: read

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon This sounds EXACTLY like His at Night. That one has a twist at the end too that was just stupid. I wonder if she has some formula she follows for all her books. Characters in lust with each other who overnight become soul mates plus ridiculous situations divided by shocking family history equals bestseller! LAME

Great review!

message 2: by Catherine (last edited Jun 10, 2010 03:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Catherine From that sentence alone I can tell I'll hate His at Night.

I thought the focus on food was a killer too. If you had a story about a photographer would we have to read through pages and pages of the perfection of the use of light and how your photos move people so much they're silent (even when together) while they're lost in the rapture of the moment?

I did like her book Not Quite a Husband so I feel that I have the potential to one day like her. It's just a matter of forcing myself to slog through unlikable characters and illogical story lines until I find the good ones. Maybe I'll just stick to the authors I know I like and give up on her.

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Hmm, the food part might not have bothered me as much - I love the Food Network and I own a bunch of cookbooks and books about food. But even when you like something I'm sure someone can find away to beat the idea into the ground until you're just begging for them to talk about something else.

I don't see the point in bothering with her, she's written 4 books and so far it seems you only liked the one. There's thousands of other books, ones that are much better than hers.

It really sucks when you try out a new author and they're terrible though.

Catherine I think you're right. I'll just move on and find some new historicals.

I like food, but as I was reading it I couldn't help but think of Holding the Dream. There was a part in it where Kate (the lead character) started romanticizing making a salad. She was talking about the food just like they do in this book. She, however, stopped herself, got embarrassed, and wondered what the hell she was doing. It was a cute part, but I kept waiting for the characters in this book to stop and come to their senses too.