Rob's Reviews > Nemesis Games

Nemesis Games by James S.A. Corey

bookshelves: audio-book, science-fiction, own, read-2015, favorites, author-male

Executive Summary: Best one yet! I've always enjoyed this series, but I really loved this book. My only complaint would I don't have more to read! I can't wait for book 6.

Audio book: Jefferson Mays is back! Huzzah! Don't get me wrong, he's not one of my favorite narrators or anything, but he is good. And the guy they got to replace him for book 4 was not. I was considering switching to text for this book if that narrator was used again. Thankfully I didn't have to.

His accents for Avasarala and Alex are excellent as always. Everyone else isn't really anything special. He has good inflection and reads in a nice and clear voice. Hopefully they'll be able to get him for all the future books.

Full Review
The Expanse books have been a lot of fun since I finally picked them up last year. However I was starting to feel like maybe it was running out of steam.

I liked Leviathan Wakes and thought Caliban's War was even better. However I felt Abaddon's Gate and especially Cibola Burn weren't as good.

I've grown tired of the rotating POV's with new characters to follow around. Part of the problem is that Avasarala and Bobbie were so great in Caliban's War, everyone that followed was a disappointment.

Not only that, but they didn't really feature in books 3 and 4 and I think that's a waste. Thankfully that's been remedied in this book. While they aren't POV characters again, they do feature fairly heavily in the plot, albeit Bobbie moreso than Avasarala.

The other problem was I always found at least 1 or 2 of the POV to be less interesting than the others. The best part is that instead of forcing the readers to deal with some new characters they won't like as much, they chose to make the other 3 POVs the remaining members of the Rocinante. Not only do we finally get in the heads of characters I've come to love in the last 4 books, but we get more of their backstories as well, especially Naomi and Amos.

In fact if you haven't read The Churn previously, I'd highly recommend doing so before this novel. I think you'll get a lot more out of Amos's storyline if you do. I'm hard pressed to pick a favorite plotline. They were all just so good.

So apart from excellent choice for POVs what really makes this book so great is the focus of the story. The stuff with the protomolecule in the last 4 books has been interesting, but this book mostly takes a break from that.

The tensions have long been bubbling between the 3 human factions of Earth, Mars and The Belt/OPA have finally come to a head. And just when I thought I was enjoying this book, BAM! It somehow got even better.

This is a very different story than last four. That may upset some fans, but for me it breathed new life into a series that seemed in danger of losing its way.

Some characters in this book made me so mad! Others made me scared or nervous. Just seeing Bobbie and Avasarala made me happy. I hated having to stop listening each day, and I couldn't wait to start listening again.

To me that's the sort of thing that pushes something from a 4 star rating into the vary rare company of a 5 star rating. It also put it solidly on my favorites shelf. I will definitely be listening to this one again.

If I had one complaint it's that it's over! I can't wait for book 6! If you found yourself not as happy with the last book or two, I highly recommend giving this one a shot, I really think it's best one yet!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nemesis Games.

September 26, 2014 – Shelved
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: audio-book
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: science-fiction
June 2, 2015 – Started Reading
June 2, 2015 – Shelved as: own
June 2, 2015 – Shelved as: read-2015
June 2, 2015 –
9.0% "Why am I stopping? I should just take off of work until I finish this. Man it's good so far, and nothing has really happened yet. I'm just glad to be back."
June 3, 2015 –
23.0% "Bobby and Avasarala, w00t!"
June 4, 2015 –
43.0% "It's getting harder and harder to stop for the day. So much better than the last book. On track to become my new favorite of the series. In going to find a way to final this weekend."
June 5, 2015 –
64.0% "I thought I was enjoying this before, but things just went to a whole new level. Holy Shit this is good!"
June 6, 2015 –
100.0% "Loved it! Full review to follow."
June 6, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
June 6, 2015 – Finished Reading
November 9, 2016 – Shelved as: author-male

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee Wonder who wi be doing the narration.

message 2: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob God I hope it's not the same one as Cibola Burn.

In fact if it is, I may read it instead.

message 3: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee I agree. I just heard his Avasala reaming Holden a new one and didn't even realise it was her. Surely the narrator would have listened to some of the previous works to get an idea what we are used too? Obviously not I suppose.

message 4: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Jefferson Mays wasn't the greatest, but his accent for Avasarala was great, and after the new guy took over, I really missed him.

message 5: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee He did a much better Alex too. His drawl was good. Naomi with this narrator is poor, too soft. Amos is ok, Holden so so and Elvie is just plain irritating full stop.

message 6: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob The reviews on audible are amusing. All the top ones complain about the narration.

However some people gave the narration 5 stars too, which just boggles my mind.

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven Great review Rob. I'll have to get to CB and this book soon.

message 9: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Thanks David. I'll be curious to see what you think of CB.

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee This is a wonderful series David.

message 11: by David Sven (new)

David Sven I'm going to be overdosing on Daniel Abraham if I'm not careful.

message 12: by Rob (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rob Lol

message 13: by Lee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lee That's funny because I am running out of steam with Abraham. Maybe overdosing means he no longer has the affect he used to.

Darren Started Leviathan Wakes this past weekend and am already halfway through... this is fantastic stuff. Encouraging to hear that it gets better!

message 15: by Abu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Abu Msuya Totally was against Erik Davies but I tolerated the fuck. It felt like Murtry narrating the whole time. It seems he is the no. 2 narrator since he appears in the backstory novellas as well.