Morgan's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

it was ok
bookshelves: contemporary, setting-america
Recommended for: nymphomaniacs
Read in May, 2007

This book is based on an interesting premise, and I love the point of view form which it is told. It truly is unique to have a deceased character narrate the story. The author is talented when it comes to her skills with words. I enjoyed portions of the book, but I must say that I felt as if much of it was forced. For instance, she touches on the idea of an icicle being the perfect murder weapon when Suzie's sister is at camp, and then, many slow paced chapters later, Suzie's killer is killed by an icicle. This whole icicle thing...well to me it seemed like an afterthought. I must say that this did not infuriate me at all; however, the entire climax of the book did generate such a feeling. I felt that the tool Sebold used to set her character free from the "heaven" in which she was stuck was ridiculously inexcusable. I won't give it away for anyone that would like to discover for themselves, but I will recommend watching the movie when it is released as opposed to wasting time that could be spent with a worthwhile book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.