Carl Bussema's Reviews > Demons of the Ocean

Demons of the Ocean by Justin Somper

it was ok
bookshelves: currently-listening, owned, owned-audio

1) I'm done; I'm not going on to the rest of the series. It was enjoyable, but I don't think there's enough here to sustain it, and I have a lot of other things to read before I could even consider "marginal, possibly interesting series."
2) Note to future genre authors: do not set your work in the 25th (or 26th, can't recall) century, then use no technology more advanced than cannons and cutlasses; if you want to write a period piece, feel free to do so, but if you're going to go medieval on your audience, and it's actually the far future, there needs to be a very good explanation for it.
3) There's conveniently magic when there needs to be, which is fine, but there's no mention of how it works, and the regular joe-on-the-street character who encounters it doesn't seem particularly surprised by it. Maybe it's really technology? See #2.
4) "Vampirates" as a name is just... yeah.

OK, so if you get past all that, there's a decent story of how orphaned and now destitute (since Only Parent Died, in significant debt), run away (grand theft boat in the process), get shipwrecked, and rescued by different ships, each of which is weird in its own way. The only real plot here is them trying to find each other, and neither really has any control over whether this happens or not, since each is just a passenger on their ship, not exactly up to the level of making command decisions. There are a few interesting scenes when the normal pirates engage in piracy of another vessel, and when the twin rescued by Vampirates figures out that they are in fact, vampirates, but these scenes can't make up for a bad framework.

Recommended for: die-hard paranormal fans who also like the golden age of piracy.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Demons of the Ocean.

September 26, 2014 – Started Reading
September 26, 2014 – Shelved
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: currently-listening
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: owned-audio
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: owned
September 26, 2014 –
60.0% "Surprisingly decent, considering I don't normally like paranormal fantasy, and the title is just pure cheese."
September 29, 2014 – Finished Reading