Patricia Kemp Blackmon's Reviews > Hope at Dawn

Hope at Dawn by Stacy Henrie

bookshelves: historical-fiction, fiction, netgalley-copy
Read 2 times. Last read September 1, 2014 to October 1, 2014.

Livy Campbell is very aware of the strain the war has brought to her family. If only she could find a teaching position. A handsome man told her about a teaching position in his home town. She applies for the position and is surprised and pleased when her application is accepted. This job will help her family especilly since her brothers are off fighting in the war.

With the coming of war with Germany also came fear and prejudice against the American-Germans. Fredrick Wagner is a born American of German decent. But there are those like his mother, a German Immigrant, that mainly speaks German. The town fears there are German spies living among them. This leaves the German community in fear of their lives and livelihood.

I married into the an American-German family, the Borho's were one of the first to have settled in Williamson County, Leander, Texas. The old home place still stands. My children are very proud of their German heritage.

This story opened my eyes to things the American-Germans suffered during this war. Even though the young men of German decent, born in America and proud to be an American were still not trusted.

Livy was even having a hard time trusting Frederick. The fact that Livy feared him broke his heart. Livy knowing her fear was not what God would want of her, she prayed for guidance.

I've read many stories about the war overseas but none depicted the hardship of the German communities in the United States. This shows the burdens of the very young to the very old, no matter the nationality. The children were the ones that touched my heart the deepest,

I highly reccommend this book.

I rated this book a 5 out of 5.

Disclosure: I received a free copy of this book from Netgally/Forever Publications for an honest review. I was in no way compensated for this review it is my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope at Dawn.

April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2014 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: christian-fiction (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: christian-romance (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: historical-fiction (Kindle Edition)
April 16, 2014 – Shelved as: first-reads (Kindle Edition)
June 16, 2014 – Shelved as: netgalley-copy (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2014 – Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
August 17, 2014 –
August 17, 2014 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 1, 2014 – Started Reading