Neil's Reviews > Flight from the Dark

Flight from the Dark by Joe Dever

Jun 10, 2010

I had the first two Lone Wolf books as a child and read and re-read them many times.

Now through Project Aon, where you can read nearly the whole series legally for free on-line I've just discovered them again. In fact I've spent a lot of my free time this week, reading through the first five that make up the "Kai" series.
One really good feature of these online editions of this the first series is the "seventh sense" program that keeps all your statistics for you, and to a certain extent cuts out cheating, although you can set the program up in various ways to enable cheating. Only the first "Kai" series is available for use with this program so far, the rest I believe I'll have to keep the records manually using the online built in action chart.

This first book, sets up the story as you chose your paths in an attempt to deliver a message to the king there are many ways to go and in this first one the paths don't converge as often as in many of the latter books, so it is possible to read this one with only the first and last sections the same, providing you are successful in your quest!

It's a shame these type of books have fallen out of favour they were wildly popular for a time in the 1980's, I suppose the rise of computer games put pay to them, but no matter how good computer graphics get they can never be a good as those you create in your mind!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flight from the Dark.

Finished Reading
June 10, 2010 – Shelved

Johan Thank you! I've been trying to get my hands on these books for what seemed like forever... eventually kinda giving up. The fact that you pointed out Project Aon is awesome. I've even dropped this info at my favorite secondhand bookshop seeing they have an amazing selection on fantasy books and all participate in Dungeons and Dragons. They all send their thanks.