Jewel's Reviews > Through The Veil

Through The Veil by Christi Snow

bookshelves: review-copy, z-2014-200-299, paranormal, fantasy, mf, sci-fi, five-stars

Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for the review copy of this book.

As an avid reader of Christi Snow's books, I knew I wanted to give this one a try, even though I don't read a whole lot of fantasy/paranormal, though that may be changing a bit. The blurb sounded interesting and the cover is just gorgeous.

I wasn't disappointed. Once I started reading it, I was hard pressed to actually put it down. I found the story and the characters engaging and their predicament interesting. I loved how the Eastern States (ES) and the Western States (WS) not only got effected differently from the falling of the veil, but also how they reacted differently to their new situation. It makes for some good conflict to overcome and to defeat.

The WS got a very different dose of whatever happened, than the ES did. In both, people over 18 died and disappeared, but the WS got fog and its inhabitants got wings, while in the ES, some people got various gifts and other people got nothing at all. The ones that got nothing? You guessed it -- they pretty much want to kill anyone that's different. The "Others" are forced to hide who they are or risk arrest and awful torture. The WS don't have it all good, though. They do have to deal with these Yeti like creatures they just call Predators. They, apparently, only come out after dark and they are extremely dangerous. No one knows what they really are, though I have my suspicions.

No one knows what caused the fracture or what the veil really is, either. They only know that it serves as an impenetrable barrier between the ES and WS. That is until Lori, an Other from ES, manages to use her talent to cross over while escaping from a six year captivity where she and other Other's were experimented on and tortured. Through the Veil focuses on Lori and her plight and Marcus, a Warrior from WS. When Lori makes it to the WS, she pretty much makes an impression on Marcus by collapsing at his feet. Way to feed his ego, yeah? And, as it turns out, they both have a telepathic link to each other that is quite strong. Both of them have been damaged by their pasts -- Lori, courtesy of her ex-fiance, who used knowledge of her "Other-ness" to further his political career in the ES and Marcus, who lost his mate when she was attacked by a Predator several years ago. Neither of them are wanting to trust the other, much less more, but they can't really help themselves. Some things are just meant to be.

So, it is up to Lori to convince the leaders in WS to help her free the Other's from captivity in ES and bring them back. Sounds easy, right? Sure. Well, that is where the fun begins, after all.

I really want to read more about this rich and vibrant world. Lori and Marcus got me hooked and now I cannot wait to read the next in the series.

The part of this book I actually hated, though, was that bit at the end where we're told the next book will be "Coming Soon" ... "Fall 2015". I somehow think my definition of "soon" is a bit different than Ms. Snow's. Seriously -- we have to wait a year for Griff and Shar's story?!?!? That's torture, people and I'm sure that violates the Geneva Convention somehow!

But, please, don't let that bit about having to wait a year to get the next story stop you from enjoying this one right now. It's a pretty awesome introduction into a new world. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Through The Veil.

September 25, 2014 – Shelved
September 26, 2014 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: mf
September 27, 2014 – Shelved as: sci-fi
September 27, 2014 –
54.0% "This book is sooo good! OMFSM, Christie Snow is going to have to write the other books faster! Along with the other books on her list that I'm dying to read :-P"
September 28, 2014 – Shelved as: five-stars
September 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Exina (new)

Exina Awesome review, Jewel!
Oh, and a year away is not 'soon'. :)

Jewel Exina wrote: "Awesome review, Jewel!
Oh, and a year away is not 'soon'. :)"

Thanks Exina! And I'm glad it isn't just me. LOL