Helen's Reviews > The Thirteenth Tale

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield

bookshelves: favourites, gothic, good-to-read-in-the-winter, book-club, reviewed

Absolutely beautiful writing, it sucked me in from the first page and would have held my interest on its own. The fact that the main character is a serious bookworm who works in a bookshop only made me even more happy to read this.

I probably would have read it to the end just for the writing, but luckily the story itself is interesting and clever. It's a family drama at its heart, a story about people and the childhood of one of the characters. Mixed into this is more than one mystery, and the story twists and turns in the present and the past as it weaves all it's strands together.

I found the big reveal at the end shocking, and it made all the little and unexplained bits suddenly make perfect sense. I love it when an author gives us a sensible explanation for all the odd things that have been happening, one that I haven't been able to guess. All the hints are there if you look back through the book, they're very cleverly hidden in plain sight. I think it would be possible to guess if you paid careful attention to everything that is said and everything that happens throughout the book.

It's a perfect book to curl up with on a cold night. Make sure you have plenty of free time, a cosy blanket, and a big cup of tea, because you won't want to put it down!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Thirteenth Tale.

September 25, 2014 – Shelved