Kelly's Reviews > Living Oprah: My One-Year Experiment to Live as TV's Most Influential Guru Advises

Living Oprah by Robyn Okrant

1197795
Jun 09, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: book-club, nonfiction
Read in June, 2010

This was an interesting book. I think the author was brave to take on a task like this, but I don't think I could have done it. She spent one year of her life doing everything that Oprah said via her show, her magazine, and her website. It sounded exhausting. Plus, some of the things that she (Oprah) said to do conflicted with personal choices that I have made in my life, meaning that it would conflict with my moral values. That would have made me fail at this project because I would have picked my standards over Oprah's. So I'm glad I didn't have to do it.

It was interesting to read about the author's insights and what she learned through this whole process. One thing that I was disappointed about was that she didn't talk a lot about the specific things that Oprah was recommending that everyone do. I would have liked to hear more about the various projects and activities that she did, and not so much about her personal philosophy on Oprahisms. But the book did make me reflect on my own life and how I view the world, so I thought it was worthwhile to read it. I especially liked how she addressed the issue of body image and how women compare their bodies to each other all the time. Okrant's conclusion was that we shouldn't do this, even though it is difficult to stop, because it makes our self esteem lower. I agree. This has made me more aware of how often I do this (a lot), and I am trying to make changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Oprah.