Linda's Reviews > Wild Comfort: The Solace of Nature

Wild Comfort by Kathleen Dean Moore

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Comfort.

June 9, 2010 – Started Reading
June 9, 2010 – Shelved
April 30, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Linda I picked up a copy of Wild Comfort after reading the author's earlier book, Hold Fast. Kathleen Dean Moore is a professor of philosophy at Oregon State, a gifted nature writer and excellent workshop teacher I had the pleasure of meeting several years ago at a writers' conference.
Wild Comfort, a collection of 28 essays around three themes: Gladness, Solace and Courage, came about while she was writing about happiness. "Events overtook me," she says in the Introduction. Several friends and a relative died within a few months of each other, and she found herself writing about them and finding comfort in the natural world.
For readers like me, who left the certainty of childhood religion years ago, Wild Comfort is a way of reading the world to find our way through disappointment and loss.
In "The Solace of Snakes," Moore reminds us to "Find the warm places; do not expect them to come to you." And in "The Patience of Herons:" "Seize the day in a razor beak." Reading this, I recognized my own learned-the-hard-way philosophy of life: We create our own happiness.
I took a long time to read this book, and I'll be reading it again and again, savoring every sentence like a long summer day or a cleansing rainstorm.