Paul's Reviews > Fool's Assassin

Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb

After being a bit disappointed in The Rain Wild Chronicles, I was super excited to get back into the world of FitzChivalry Farseer, and wow did I enjoy this book. Fool's Assassin reminded me a lot of Fool's Errand, the first book in The Tawny Man trilogy, but with the quality turned up. This is a character book first and foremost. The fantasy and action elements of Fool's Assassin is toned down in favor of a family dynamic that is just ravishingly good. Because the reader has lived with Fitz for 6 other books before this and we know the background of this world with the Liveship Trader and Rain Wild Chronicles, this family focus really works. I am not going to get into the specifics of this book's plot because it would definitely spoil many of the other books in this series.

The reason this book is so good is because Hobb's writing ability has become honed to a level that is some of the best in all of literature. Where the previous series' writing seemed lacking, this felt like she was really trying to impress, and it works. Hobb knows these characters so well, being inside Fitz's head is so effortless. The reason why these long series are so successful is because authors become some intimate with their characters that they are able to write them on a level that makes the reader believe they are real. Fitz and the other characters in this world are as real to me as most of the people in my real life, sometimes more so.

I was really impressed that Hobb could surprise me as much as she did with this book. I was really excited to see where this story led because where I thought she was going to continue the story was not at all close. I have to reign myself in before I start sounding too much like a fan boy. If you read these books for anything other than the characters, you may be disappointed in this book. Even though the characters and writing is close to perfect, there are moments when I wanted something a little more exciting to happen. However, this is one reason why I love slow burn books, because when the excitement does happen, it really hits you hard. I definitely covered my mouth in shock a few times while reading this. I loved it and I can't wait to dive in book 2 soon.

5/5
22/25 Possible Score
4 - Plot
5 - Characters
4 - World Building
5 - Writing Style
4 - Heart & Mind Aspect

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fool's Assassin.

Quotes Paul Liked

Robin Hobb
“Time is an unkind teacher, delivering lessons that we learn far too late for them to be useful. Years after I could have benefited from them, the insights come to me.”
Robin Hobb, Fool's Assassin

September 24, 2014 – Shelved
September 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
September 24, 2014 – Shelved as: own-hardback
April 16, 2017 – Started Reading
April 16, 2017 –
page 44
6.4% "This is already sooo good"
page 136
19.77% "Molly and Fitz, #relationshipgoals. Hah"
page 136
19.77% "oops, hope i can delete that, kind of a spoiler"
page 229