Paul's Reviews > City of Dragons

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb

City of Dragons by Robin Hobb was a really different Hobb book for me. I felt that this book just didn't seem like a whole. Everything seemed much more rushed than any of her other work. Maybe it is because this book was shorter than her other books or it is because it was split from the last book but it just didn't have the same feel to me that her other books had. This book catches us up on previous characters in the series like Hest, Malta, Reyn, and Seldan, but also continues to follow the keepers and dragons at Kelsingra.

The characters at Kelsingra were mostly used as a tool for world building in this book and I found that odd. Usually, the world building is done flawlessly through the character's interactions with each other but in this book, a lot of the answers about Elderlings comes from scenes in which the characterization isn't being progressed forward much. I found this off-putting or an extreme change of pace from the previous two books in the Rain Wild Chronicles. I liked catching up with Malta, Hest, Reyn, and Seldan but once again it felt different. Their sections were short at times and I'm not used to that with a Hobb book. I'm used to 20+ page sections dealing with a side character. In other words, this book jumped around a lot more frequently and with shorter sections and it felt less like a Robin Hobb book because of that. I think that the splitting of this series into 4 books just doesn't work too much for me. I would have been happier if this book and the fourth was one large book.

In the end, a 3 star Hobb book is still a great book. The answers the reader got about Elderlings were exciting and I really enjoyed Malta's section of reading. Hest is definitely one of those characters that I just hate but I also find where his story might go to be exciting. I am looking forward to when all these characters meet back up together and the Chalced narration becoming more clear.

3/5
13/25 Possible Score
2 - Plot
3 - Characters
3 - World Building
3 - Writing style
2 - Heart & Mind Aspect

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Dragons.

September 24, 2014 – Shelved
September 24, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
November 21, 2014 – Shelved as: own-hardback
February 22, 2017 – Started Reading
February 22, 2017 –
page 105
31.44% "Forgot to mark this as my current day read. Oops."
February 23, 2017 –
page 232
February 24, 2017 –
page 333
99.7% "This book was weird to me. It didn't seem like a Hobb book"
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_read-2017fromshelf
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_read-2017books
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_read-2017all
February 27, 2017 – Shelved as: z_archive17_libraryaudio2017
February 27, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

K.S. I agree that a 3-star Hobb book is still a great book. I also didn't rate this one highly but that is only because, in comparison to the others, I didn't feel it as much. I really should check out the next book, though.

Paul K.S. wrote: "I agree that a 3-star Hobb book is still a great book. I also didn't rate this one highly but that is only because, in comparison to the others, I didn't feel it as much. I really should check out ..."

A part of me thinks that I went from book 2 to book 3 too quickly and that I should have taken a break between them.

Rachelle (RavenclawRachelle) Robin Hobb wrote the rain wild chronicles as one book and the publisher decided to split up into smaller volumes, first book is part one, second book is part two etc