Emily's Reviews > Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide

Half the Sky by Nicholas D. Kristof

bookshelves: non-fiction, meridian

Difficult to review such heart-wrenching stories. I had no idea. I mean, I guess I was peripherally aware of some of the horrors they describe, but I had no idea just how far we still have to go.

You can't read this book and not want to DO something.

Will write a more coherent response after I've been able to process it for a little longer.

******

I'm back. My review on this one isn't going to be much longer, but I want to add a few thoughts.

This is an important book for people to read. If only to realize how much we westerners are so completely ignorant of how the rest of the world lives and what absolutely horrific things are happening while we're worried about the value of our 401(k) or addicted to following Kanye West's tweets. Nothing like a little perspective.

It's also important to do your own thinking and research - you may come to the same conclusions as this book's authors, you may come to different conclusions. But you won't know until you start looking. For example, after doing a little web-surfing, I found that the CARE organization listed in the back of this book as a good way to get involved doesn't have the highest rating from CharityNavigator.org. Maybe that's not the way I'm going to choose to get involved. And I recently read a blog post by someone who took exception to this book's emphasis on western medical intervention for childbirth and advocated focusing on educating the local midwives instead.

However you decide to use the information in this book is, of course, up to you. But the first step is picking it up and allowing yourself to be horrified, upset, disturbed, and finally moved to action by it.

**********

Update: I recently finished my second read-through and I found it much more hopeful than I did the first time through. Probably because my mind was so preoccupied with the horrors I was learning about in detail for the first time, I missed a lot of the positive aspects of the stories. The triumphs and overcoming, the rescues and escapes, and the ways that I can help. This should be a twice-read (at least) book.

For more book reviews, come visit my blog, Build Enough Bookshelves.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half the Sky.

June 9, 2010 – Shelved