Denise's Reviews > Missing Mark

Missing Mark by Julie Kramer

Jun 09, 2010

Read in June, 2009

4.0 out of 5 stars "For Sale: Wedding Dress. Never Worn.", June 26, 2009

This review is from: Missing Mark (Hardcover)

I had selected Missing Mark from Amazon Vine before I realized it was the second in a series so of course I had to get Stalking Susan and read it first. That's just an idiosyncrasy and even though it fleshes out the backstory of our intrepid heroine, Riley Spartz, it really isn't necessary to read it prior to enjoying this book. This sequel is just as well done as the debut.

Featuring spunky 36-year-old television news reporter, Riley Spartz --think smarter, more sophisticated Stephanie Plum -- the mystery really begins with her discovery of a six-word novel in a want ad: "For Sale: Wedding Dress. Never Worn." This funny, improbable, and likable heroine uses her investigative talents to bring some closure to the case of a vanished bridegroom. [An interesting sidebar in the story is that one of the characters suffers from face blindness, prosopagnosia -- the inability to recognize faces of even friends or family. I found that fascinating.:]

Working in the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota, and White Bear Lake, Riley juggles multiple possible high rating stories during this May sweeps week. In addition to solving the case of the missing groom who left his rich bride at the altar, she is trying to shut down a neighborhood meth ring and to find the missing Big Mouth Billy Bass (stolen from Underwater Adventures at the Mall of America).

The book is a fast paced, funny, and entertaining read that just begs to be devoured in one sitting. I recommend it for anyone interested in a mystery that does have its share of dead bodies but that is short on details typical to the thriller genre (blood, guts, torture -- absent here). The character of Riley Spartz is engaging, and the returning supporting cast of coworkers and friends are a perfect foil for her crazy, hectic life. I eagerly anticipate the next one in this series.
Enjoy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing Mark.