Denise's Reviews > The Kids Are All Right: A Memoir

The Kids Are All Right by Diana Welch

Jun 09, 2010

it was ok

2.0 out of 5 stars Just another 'misery' memoir..., December 20, 2009

This review is from: The Kids Are All Right: A Memoir (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine™ Program (What's this?)
I read all the positive reviews of this memoir co-authored by the four Welch children whose father died suddenly when they were very young. Unfortunately, after selecting and muddling through the book, I came away with a very different opinion about it. Mostly -- who cares? Yes, it was sad that the children lost their father. And yes, sad also that he wasn't really rich after all and that the circumstances surrounding his death were questionable. Even sadder was when their mother was diagnosed with cancer. But, ultimately, there was nothing unusual or earth shattering here that made this story or this family any more interesting than any other family that experiences tragedy and inexplicable death.

The truth is, I'm sorry for them, but really this isn't a story that was so unique that it HAD to be told and I wonder why it was published. I had a struggle to get through it, found it redundant and a bit boring, and didn't like that every child in the family had to tell the same event from his/her own point of view. Glad they all turned out "all right", however, there are a lot of children who face this type of tragic event and don't go through the self-destructive, dysfunctional way of dealing with it. I think anyone who typically reads what I call 'misery memoirs' will recognize The Kids Are All Right: A Memoir as the same sad story they've read before -- just with a different title and author.

Sorry, but I would pass on this one because, in many cases, your own family history might provide a more interesting book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kids Are All Right.

Started Reading
December 1, 2009 – Finished Reading
June 9, 2010 – Shelved

message 1: by Ashlyn (new)

Ashlyn Thank you for posting this. My friend suggested this for a book in our book club and it seemed boring you just backed me up.

Denise I'm just not a big fan of what I call "misery memoirs" and hope you won't be sorry you missed out if everyone else likes it!

gina I think your comments were spot-on!

Denise Thank you, Gina! I always want to know if others agree or disagree with my thoughts on a particular book!

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jay I did not see it that way at all. Everyone has a story..a truly interesting story. Although we don't all write about our stories, we certainly learn from those that do have the courage to write about their true feelings. I loved every minute of this book....these four children had such a different experience from my own....in every way. I learned from them and I celebrate how they now live their lives in spite of obstacles that could have created a very different outcome.

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Thanks for the comment. I felt unsure after reading about it, you confirmed its not for me!