Christie72's Reviews > Ravensdale

Ravensdale by Lucinda Elliot

liked it

***I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.***

Ravensdale has all the components of a regency historical romance novel…a heroine, a dastardly villain, and a handsome rogue. However, it’s not a typical regency at all; it’s a cleverly written and hilarious parody of that genre. I wasn’t sure what to expect at first, but it was quite funny and entertaining.

The tale opens at a funeral for an old Earl’s funeral where the reader is introduced to the main players. They include the nephew, Edmund Ravensdale aka the conniving cousin and the Earl’s son, Reynaud Ravensdale aka the outlaw, highwayman, and Mr. Fox. Readers also meet the Murray family and their daughter, the heroine, Isabella. The book takes off quickly when Reynaud Ravensdale is recognized and pursued by soldiers since the “outlaw” is a wanted man. But, the story really gains speed when Isabella, her brother, and Mistress Titmarsh are robbed by Reynaud and his bandits. I quickly saw what a great, snarky heroine our Isabella is when she punches one of Reynaud’s men in the nose when he touches her inappropriately. This is the point in which Ravensdale falls for her and soon does everything he can to be near her without being recognized and taken to the gallows. It takes her a bit longer to fall for him, and things only get further complicated when his “villainous” cousin, Edmund, begins vying for Isabella’s attentions. This pleases her parents to no end for her to make such a good match. However, she is going to do everything in her power to fight against marrying someone she doesn’t love even if that means fleeing her family with Reynaud.

Even though a bulk of the story is the “romance” between Reynaud and Isabella, the most intriguing part of the book for me was the mystery of why Reynaud and his cousin are at odds with each other and why he was disgraced and became an outlaw. Some of my favorite chapters were the flashbacks that let me see Reynaud and Edmund in the past. Another thing I really liked were the exchanges between the couple; Isabella is a spitfire and is not a damsel in distress. She is an independent woman who fights the image of what a woman was during that time.

Although I don’t read a great deal of regency romance novels, I enjoyed this parody. There were times that it moved a bit slow, but the writer did keep me engaged and entertained. I loved the satire, and anyone who is a fan of romance novels would enjoy this book.

***THIS REVIEW WAS WRITTEN FOR DEVILISHLY DELICIOUS BOOK REVIEWS.***
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ravensdale.

Started Reading