Patrick's Reviews > The Way of Kings

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson

I got to read an ARC of the book and I really enjoyed it. Sanderson really knows how tell a story and create an interesting world....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way of Kings.

Finished Reading
June 9, 2010 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

Todd Based on your current t-shirt blog, did you have to sleep with Brandon Sanderson to read the ARC of his new book?

message 2: by unknown (new)

unknown good lord, how does a guy manage to write a 1000 page book every year?

Lindsey Actually, to be fair, Sanderson is releasing 3 new books this year. Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens (304 pages), Towers of Midnight (784 pages), and Way of Kings (1008 pages). That's a total of more than 2,000 pages of finalized writing. Either he writes/edits insanely quickly or he's actually a writing machine that can pass the Turing test. Either way, his books are great.

Matt So.....now that you are through with the ARC, my address is.....

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I guess when one great author praises another there shouldn't be any doubt about whether this is recommended.

Lindsey Mr. Rothfuss, is there any chance that in the future (i.e. once Way of Kings is published and thus no longer spoil-able for most readers) that you will write a more complete review? I'm sure I'm not the only fan of yours who would like to know your particular thoughts on this and other novels. Thanks!

Jeanne Sanderson is a writing machine! I've never seen a more organized and systematic writer. It seems his muse is on speed as I don't think the man has ever had a minute of writer's block nor ever will. He sets daily writing goals and meets or exceeds them every time. I'm in awe of his work ethic.

message 8: by Chi-Chi (new) - added it

Chi-Chi A This looks like a really badass book! It must be pretty badass if the author of "The Name of the Wind" likes it. Ok, done! Buying it asap!

message 9: by Skroo (new) - added it

Skroo My introduction to Sanderson is his finishing WoT. I just started this but so far it is damn good.

Adi Narayan Mandalemula You too surely know how to tell a story Patrick. Long ones too, just like Sanderson. But why are your reviews so short?

Sa'id great opinion

Abhisek Dash Finding yourself some competition, Pat?

message 13: by Walter (last edited Jan 20, 2014 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Walter My favorite book, He has written! Expect So much from this series! As I do For yours Patrick!

message 14: by Eloy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eloy Lindsey wrote: "Actually, to be fair, Sanderson is releasing 3 new books this year. Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens (304 pages), Towers of Midnight (784 pages), and Way of Kings (1008 pages). That's a total o..."

For truth sake I must say that the Wheel of Time books he finished had a big lot already written by the original author of the series Robert Jordan.
Brandon's work on this matter was to tie together the different scenes Jordan had left written.
Not saying he didn't do a good job, and not saying it doesn't take time. But it's not really like writting a book: he already knows what needs to happen, he only needs to fill the holes.

message 15: by Yann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yann Pat, we are waiting :)
It was a fantastic book but could have been shorter. The last 100 pages were amazing. Can't wait for Tome Two but please edit, edit, edit.
Pat, don't edit. Your books are fantastic

message 16: by Connor (new) - added it

Connor Pat, focus on your book. .. please.. :)

Dimitri Still waiting on your book sir rothfus. May want to take a time management class by Sanderson. lol jk. seriously though, and he had a wife and kids. wow

Daniel Pepper The answer joel is that sanderson is an incredibly well organised writer

Amber LOL - this is the best review ever!

message 20: by Traci (new) - added it

Traci Mr. Rothfuss, I'm almost done with your second book already I know I will miss Kvothe. Never too long and I'm enjoying so. Thank you for all great talent. Plus, if you think Sanderson is a good adventure I will give it a try.

Nicole I'm reading for the 2th time before I startt at the 2th book. It is even better the second time. Can I give one more star?

message 22: by Damen (new) - added it

Damen Demarcus Mr. Rothfuss, I just want to say I love you. Your writing in remarkable. I have forced at least ten of my close friends and family to read your books and they all are blown away. I am going to buy and read this book now and 100% of my decision is because you gave it five stars.

message 23: by Ezequiel (new) - added it

Ezequiel Martinez Wow, if Patrick rates this, SO HIGH...men, I'm buying the book right away. Thanks Pat!

message 24: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Good enough for me!! Besides the Prelude & Prologue have me on the hook. I need something to hold me over till Kingkiller #3. I think that this will be just right...

message 25: by Gabriela (new) - added it

Gabriela Pat, do you have further thoughts on this book? I am past 70% now, and I still don't know if I like it or not! How very unusual... On one hand, the characters are pleasantly grey, being neither good nor bad. I appreciate an author that gives personality some depth. The world itself, though, is a little bit too much for me, in terms of fantasy elements. I don't know, it all sounds kinda forced through to make it instantly recognizable as fantasy. I think I like the way Robin Hobb and George Martin do it more, where it's subtle...
Maybe the ending of the book will finally define my opinion about it, haha

Justin  hight Lindsey wrote: "Mr. Rothfuss, is there any chance that in the future (i.e. once Way of Kings is published and thus no longer spoil-able for most readers) that you will write a more complete review? I'm sure I'm no..."
I respect Pat's opinion and would love to see a longer review of the way of Kings from him too.

message 27: by Hasham (new)

Hasham Rasool I am glad that you enjoyed read The Way of Kings. I can't wait to read your book Patrick, The Name of the Wind! At the moment I am still reading Brandon Sanderson books then after that I will read The Name of the Wind. In shaa Allah :-)

message 28: by Jonathon (new) - added it

Jonathon Hudson Do you sanderson ever handout? You guys would make an unstoppable duo.

message 29: by Guilherme (new)

Guilherme Patrick, I'm missing Kvothe stories, how is it going?

message 30: by Danielle (new)

Danielle A friend’s been recommending this incessantly to me, so I’m trusting you on this one, Mr. Rothfuss!