Gail's Reviews > Rococo

Rococo by Adriana Trigiani

Jun 08, 2010

After reading Very Valentine, I went to the library to see if there were any other Adriana Trigiani books. After checking out this one, and reading the first chapter, I was more than pleasantly surprised to find out that the action takes place in the very neighborhoods and towns where I grew up!
The story, which takes place in 1970, tells a light tale of a small town interior designer who is eager to get the job to refurbish and update his church. Trigiani writes her characters with clear voices and conversations, so much so that you feel as if you've sat a table with these people, or spent a holiday with them. Additionally, anyone who was around in 1970, will enjoy the references to the styles and fashions of the day. Whether a large mural on the wall, using mirrors to expand a room's visual illusion, bell bottoms, or the ever popular creme cheese appetizer, the era has been captured.
I look forward to reading more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rococo.

Janet they even mentioned Voltaco's in Ocean City NJ! The problem with Mario reading the book is that almost all the women's voices sound like husky drag queens with Brooklyn accents. Okay for his sister Toot, but I don't see Edie (the other designer) that way at all!

Gail hmmm...interesting. That's not how they sounded in my head. Maybe I"ll have to get the audio version myself. It does sort of annoy me when people try to do Jersey - and it comes out like Brooklyn or one of the other boroughs. (do I sound like that?? I don't sound like that in my head. :-)
oh well...too nice of a day to be nit-picky.

Janet NOOOOOO absolutely NOT - you do not sound like that!! the audio seems like a cross of long island Jewish and Brooklyn Italian. So NOT jersey shore - although I hear commercials on the radio with "Snooky" from the Jersey Shore show - and SHE has an annoying voice.