Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘'s Reviews > Assassin's Apprentice

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

bookshelves: fave-ya-and-fantasy, reread, fantasy, dark, fave-characters, knots-in-my-stomach, likeable-mc, all-time-favorites
Read 6 times. Last read January 12, 2015 to June 5, 2015.

07/19 : 1.99$ today on kindle! ← I never do that, but that's FITZ. Be serious.

Funny that I thought I would be able to objectively review this favorite of mine. SERIOUSLY? I was way too conceited. Because the truth is...

Why?

◘ Because I'm (way) too much involved in Fitz's story to analyze it. I mean, I could pretend, of course, but really? I found myself crying or being out of breath in anticipation so many times that I'm pretty sure my opinion is grandly biased.

Take this, for example : "And then my lessons with Galen began." Yeah, well, I cried at this. Crazy right? Hey, not so crazy in my book, but how in the world would I manage to be fair in a review?

Truth be told, this series is my favorite of all times and I can't dissect my feelings.

◘ Because it's my 5th time reading it and I can't stop sobbing, I can't stop FEELING.

◘ Because I don't care that it's slow paced, I don't care if Fitz is annoying and whiny sometimes, I don't fucking care.

◘ Because I still want to murder Regal and to dismember Galen. Fucking bastards. I hate them so damn much.

◘ Because this lonely and rejected boy who's trying to find his place as an assassin? He is filled with flaws but he is trying so hard and his evolution is both realistic and heart-wrenching, I can't even express how much I adore him. Damn, since I've met him more than 10 years ago, none of the characters I read about could take his place in my heart. None of them .

And then, there's the Fool ♥

► Honestly? I wouldn't be able to be objective to save my life, and I'm at peace with it. So, you know, trust me, don't trust me - I don't know. If you like fantasy and never read this, I don't even know what to say to you. Seriously. I mean, for real? Just go read this series and come plotting Regal's murder with me.

For more of my reviews, please visit:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assassin's Apprentice.

Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
Finished Reading
July 28, 2014 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
September 23, 2014 – Shelved
January 12, 2015 – Started Reading
January 13, 2015 –
0.0% "This is it. I'm rereading my all-time favorite for the first time in 5 years. *huge breath*\n "
January 14, 2015 –
4.0% ""Regal," he said, in that way he has. "Don't do what you can't undo, until you've considered what you can't do once you've done it". Then he laughed."\n \n I must warn you : I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as me being fair with this book. Too much love here. Not objective at all >.< I'm here smiling like a fool at every freaking sentence."
January 16, 2015 –
21.0% "Oh, Fitz. *facepalm*\n \n Her calm flauting of her knowledge and skills left me burning to distinguish myself in her eyes. 'I know the thresher's root', I told her. 'Some use it to make an ointment for sore shoulders and backs. But if you distil a tincture from it and mix it well in wine it's never tasted, and it will make a grown man sleep a day and a night and a day again, or make a child die in his sleep.""
January 17, 2015 –
34.0% "[on pause] for my Angel experiment. Au Revoir Fitz, I'll come back."
June 5, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)

message 1: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Great!I'd like read it with you but, seriously I have NO time and SO MANY books to read before...Enjoy!
Did you finish Shadowfever ?

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lucy wrote: "Great!I'd like read it with you but, seriously I have NO time and SO MANY books to read before...Enjoy!
Did you finish Shadowfever ?"

Nope, tonight I think - AWESOME so far! No problem, I might read it with others books I think, cause that's a re-read :))

message 3: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Alright!I begin tonight, I can't wait!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Lucy wrote: "Alright!I begin tonight, I can't wait!"

YAY! Enjoy!! I'm at 60%, but I might not go on today, I don't know, so tired I don't want to waste it^^

message 5: by Lucy (new) - added it

Lucy Thanks!Can't believe what happens...This serie drives me crazy!!

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Bunte Can anyone tell me an age range these are appropriate for? Like a teen boy? I want to get them for my son but can't tell if they are appropriate.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Susan wrote: "Can anyone tell me an age range these are appropriate for? Like a teen boy? I want to get them for my son but can't tell if they are appropriate."

Hmmm... In France they are classed as adult books because even if the story starts with Fitz when he's 8, there's violence in it so I don't know - my brother read them at 17 I think.

Cee (The Mistress Case) Hahahah, your reviews continue to be fun and delightful as always :P

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Mistress Cee wrote: "Hahahah, your reviews continue to be fun and delightful as always :P"

Thank you (can I call you Cee? Or no? lol)!! Well, it's not really a review but I'm way too biased on this series, I can't be objective at all >.<

Cee (The Mistress Case) Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Mistress Cee wrote: "Hahahah, your reviews continue to be fun and delightful as always :P"

Hahaha, yes, do call me Cee :) I just assume everyone does. Who cares about objectivity when there is love . . . and a murder to plot, right? Lol.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Mistress Cee wrote: "Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Mistress Cee wrote: "Hahahah, your reviews continue to be fun and delightful as always :P"

Thank you (can I call you Cee? Or no? lol)!! Well, it's not reall..."

OMG YES. Damn it. He's probably the character I hated the most in all the books I read. My poor, poor Fitz.

Also - yay! I will :)

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ I'll try, damn it. I'll try. :P

AGHHHH Fav book/series feels. GAHD I love them ahahah

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "I'll try, damn it. I'll try. :P

AGHHHH Fav book/series feels. GAHD I love them ahahah"

message 14: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid HAHAHAHAHAH This is like my review of Froi where I basically fail to be coherent.

message 15: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid I FEEL THESE FEELS.

message 16: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid And I bet you have a hardcover of this book right? Whenever a book becomes this important to me, it always gets replaced with a HC instead.

message 17: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Jun 05, 2015 05:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brigid wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAH This is like my review of Froi where I basically fail to be coherent."

RIGHT? I mean, it's my 5th read. What would I think if it was my first time reading it? Fuck if I know. But I started my adult life with Fitz at 17 and frankly, after 6 books and many rereads, being objective isn't an option anymore >.<

Also - FROI ♥

message 18: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Jun 05, 2015 05:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brigid wrote: "And I bet you have a hardcover of this book right? Whenever a book becomes this important to me, it always gets replaced with a HC instead."

I have. In English annnd in French, since I read it in French at first^^ We are crazy :D

message 19: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. YOU MAKE ME WANT TO READ THIS!!! Kind of reminds me to me and my favorite series, lol. I shall add it. Great review!

message 20: by Brigid (new) - added it

Brigid Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Brigid wrote: "And I bet you have a hardcover of this book right? Whenever a book becomes this important to me, it always gets replaced with a HC instead."

I have. In English annnd in French, sin..."

And sometimes, you go so far as to buy different editions. Like I very want the UK editions of Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Vane wrote: "YOU MAKE ME WANT TO READ THIS!!! Kind of reminds me to me and my favorite series, lol. I shall add it. Great review!"

Thank you!! And wow, the pressure >.< Lmao, just know that at this point I'm not able to see the flaws :D This series followed me so long, and still does. I know some books I read and loved a while ago I wouldn't like at all, but these ones? They mean too much to me. Whatever happens they'll always stay the books that introduced me to fantasy (yeah, because I hated Tolkien - I mean, not hated hated, but I was so bored).

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Brigid wrote: "Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Brigid wrote: "And I bet you have a hardcover of this book right? Whenever a book becomes this important to me, it always gets replaced with a HC instead."
..."

Hahahaha EXACTLY. They have to know that too. Hence the different editions we sometimes get^^

message 23: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa J. Oh, okay. You're making me even MORE curious, lol. I love when books do that to people. XD

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Vane wrote: "Oh, okay. You're making me even MORE curious, lol. I love when books do that to people. XD"

:D I freaking ADORE this series, that's all ;)

message 25: by Will (new) - added it

Will M. I haven't read any Hobb book, would this be a good introduction?

message 26: by Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (last edited Jun 07, 2015 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Will wrote: "I haven't read any Hobb book, would this be a good introduction?"

Yes, actually, if you want to read her books, you have to start by this one, because all her series are linked, even if the characters aren't always the same. Here's the order :

1)FARSEER TRILOGY

3)TAWNY MAN
- Fool's Errand
- Golden Fool
- Fool's Fate

4)RAIN WILD CHRONICLES (4 books)

5)THE FITZ AND THE FOOL
- Fool's Assassin
- Fool's Quest (released in August)

I know, there's so many books, but really, it's worth it^^

message 27: by Will (new) - added it

Will M. Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Will wrote: "I haven't read any Hobb book, would this be a good introduction?"

Thanks for this list!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Will wrote: "Alienor ๑ is waiting for July ๑ wrote: "Will wrote: "I haven't read any Hobb book, would this be a good introduction?"

You're welcome :)

message 29: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have six of the series already on the shelf. One of those waiting their turn (see https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/... )

message 30: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Oh, and I loved the review! ^^

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Molly wrote: "Thanks for the recommendation. I actually have six of the series already on the shelf. One of those waiting their turn (see https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/... )"

YES!! It's a slow pacing, I have to warn you, not full action packed, but really, it's worth it ♥ (and I never was bored). This is the first (see my message to Will earlier if you're not sure about the order)

Thank youuu!!

message 32: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly The Liveship traders series is already waiting my August bunch order from Amazon. My sister loves the series. So, Rain Wild Chronicles is set in the same world? I somehow overlooked this one. Thanks!

message 34: by P (new)

P Amazing review !!

Tamar fitz, fool and night eyes are my favoit "triangle" ever. I LOVED this series so much. when i finished the first triology it was like "now what". i could not touch another book for over 3 weeks (and for me it's a lotttttttt)

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) wrote: "THE FOOL! <3"

*_* Love him!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ P wrote: "Amazing review !!"

Thank you!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Tamar wrote: "fitz, fool and night eyes are my favoit "triangle" ever. I LOVED this series so much. when i finished the first triology it was like "now what". i could not touch another book for over 3 weeks (and..."

Ha, me too <3 Loved these books so so much!

message 39: by Kainat (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 THAT GOOD?! Do you recommend it?

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Kainat Ijaz wrote: "THAT GOOD?! Do you recommend it?"

ALWAYS, but know that it's my all times fave series. And that I read this one for the first time 15 years ago. So. I am NOT objective lmao.

message 41: by Kainat (last edited Oct 16, 2016 11:12PM) (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 Too late, I've started it already. Fingers crossed.

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Kainat Ijaz wrote: "Too late, I've started it already. Fingers crossed."

YAY!! FITZ!! <33