Casper Wilstrup's Reviews > Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness

Reinventing Organizations by Frederic Laloux

U 50x66

This book is a brilliant collection of patterns and practices in self-managing organizations - both for-profit and non-profits.

I consider it a must-read for anyone interested in high performance, motivation based organizations.

Laloux ties his observations together with Ken Wilbers 'Integral Theory', and the idea that human consciousness evolves in stages. Self-managing organizations being a manifestation of a new level of consciousness just now emerging which the author labels 'Teal'

While this claim does indeed allow for some fascinating insights and observations, Laloux takes the idea way too far in my opinion. At certain points, the book becomes decidedly mystic. I fear that this will be a turn-off for many who would otherwise benefit greatly from reading the book.

Towards the end, Laloux get's carried completely away, speculating about how the future might unfold as this new 'Teal' level of consciousness grows more widespread. In this part, I think that Laloux commits some significant logical blunders.

For instance it appears that Laloux equates the concept of economical growth with physical resource consumption - thus neglecting the entire service sector which contributes most of today's economic growth. Indeed the worlds most modern societies - in Scandinavia and the US west cost - are today year over year reducing material resource consumption per capita, but at the same time enjoying significant economic growth.

Laloux believes that the future will be characterized by zero or even negative economic growth, and celebrates this fact. This makes no sense, since the only way self-managing (or Teal) organizations can bring about lower economic growth is if they are less efficient than the organizational model it replaces.

Nonetheless - I highly recommend reading the book. It's undoubtedly the book that has inspired me the most in recent years.

Now I'll move on to the source and read some of what Ken Wilber really has to say about this 'Integral' thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reinventing Organizations.

September 22, 2014 – Shelved