John Otto's Reviews > Songs Without Words

Songs Without Words by Ann Packer

Jun 08, 2010

liked it

Don't make the mistake I did and confuse Ann Packer with Ann Patchett. Ann Patchett wrote some very good books, including Bel Canto and Truth and Beauty. That's the author I thought I was getting when I checked out Songs Without Words.

I would call this "chick lit" except that it does a disservice to all the chicks I know and like. It probably would be better labeled as "writers workshop" lit. Some time, some place, someone told Packer that lots of detail enrich a story. It does, when used with discretion. But there should be a point to the detail. It should show you things about the character or plot that help you better understand the story. Pointless detail makes you want to scream "get on with the story!!!"

The story is about how a family and its friends are impacted when their teen-age daughter tries to kill herself. To complicate matters, the mother's closest friend lost her mother by suicide when she was a teenager. The pressures that this action puts on the family are shown with great insight, knowledge that is probably only learned from first hand experience. (According to my friend, Mr. Google, Packer's father committed suicide when she was a teenager.) The weakest points are the beginning of the book when the family's life is too idyllic to be believable and the end, which is a little too much and-they-all-lived-happily-ever-after for my tastes.

I credit Packer with telling a story on a difficult subject, it's just that the book would be so much better if it had been more tightly edited.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs Without Words.

June 8, 2010 – Started Reading
June 8, 2010 – Shelved
June 13, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca It's understandable, confusing "Ann P" - they may be working together to sell more books for both of them!

I quite agree, the quality of writing is noticeable. I read Ann Packer's "Dive from Clausen's Pier" and "Run" the first better than the second. Both dealing with family/social issues. I hate to say this but it reminds me of Jodi Picoult's "social dilemna" story telling.

message 2: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca How confusing - Ann Patchett vs Ann Packer. I'm mixing them up as well ! Ann Patchett wrote "Run" which I didn't like very much after the outstanding "Bel Canto"

Ann Packer did write "Dive from Clausen's Pier" which I did like.

Elizabeth Ha, I did that. Thanks for clarifying.