Cristina Monica's Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: fantasy, romance, love-triangle, magic, well-written, favorites, adventure, monsters

I loved it from page one. One incredible journey.

description

I’m going to tell you guys something: My first ever read in English was Throne of Glass and that was last September. I thought, with my knowledge of the English language (at that time) that picking a 400 page book up as a first read in English was going to work out well for me. ‘‘Piece of cake,’’ was what I told myself.

Well, not exactly…

I struggled with that book because of how the writing was, in my opinion, complex and all those new terms that I’ve never seen or heard of before. I literally had a dictionary next to me and searched through it one or two times per new page turned. So, yeah, I did not have a great experience even if I ended up enjoyed the book. It in fact took me three weeks to read it when, you all know, I now finish a book in 1, 2 or 3 days—exceptions apply. I was reading so slowly. SO slowly.

The point is... I did know about Shadow and Bone at that time as well but was very afraid of not rightly comprehending the world-building since it seemed to me very complex, just by reading the blurb. Yesterday, though, I finally felt like starting it, even if in my interior I was wondering if I was truly ready and going to understand it well.

Turns out I didn’t have to worry and knowing that I imporved my English so much in only a year makes me so happy. But, also, Leigh Bardugo did a great job introducing it to us along with its elements and I hope she will surprise us with many other new things related to the world-building in the sequels because it is amazing. AMAZING.

Alina is the kind of main character I love reading about in a fantasy book. Yes, she could have been more fierce, strong and clever, but was is wonderful still and her vulnerable part actually made me connect with her and relate to her more than I usually do with main characters. I enjoyed seeing her character development and, when she felt sad, I surprisingly felt her feelings too. That’s how much I sympathized and was invested in her story.

Mal…he is charming and I couldn’t resist him. The kind of relationship he and Alina have is unique and true and definitely beautiful.

‘‘Just you and me,’’ Mal said.
‘‘Really?’’
‘‘It’s always just you and me, Alina.’’

They were meant for each other.

description

Although, as much as I may have loved Mal, I did have a perference for the mysterious and dangerous Darkling.

description

He did not turn out to be as lethal as I would have liked...but he is a fantastic villain still and I am dying to read more about him in the sequels.

The writing was excellent and I'm definitely applauding the author in my mind. She is one talented author of whom I will read every work, that is for sure.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts on it? If you haven't, then, believe me, it is one you will want to read. The fantasy fan in you, if this applies to you, will find himself/herself in admiration with this unique world and well-developped characters.

Art source.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

September 20, 2014 – Started Reading
September 21, 2014 – Shelved
September 21, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)

Patty GREAT REVIEW!!
Oops, sorry for the caps! I also loved that Alina wasn't just a badass, for me it make her of a more realistic character. As much as I wanted to love Mal, I found myself more leaning towards the Darkling. I haven't read book 2 or 3 yet so I'm curious to see how it all plays out. I'm glad you were able to get through it, woot!!

xo Patty

Sakina I haven't read the book as I have seen many mixed reviews for the book. So I am a little reluctant to pick it up.

Amazing review though!

Btw I never knew you were not a native English speaker!(same pinch)

Sandee Ha! I knew you'd love this!! :D
So happy that you liked this too, plus we share the same sentiments about Throne of Glass. That made me even more happier.

Isn't the Darkling just amazing? *fluttering my eyelashes*

But I did like Mal too. :)

Awesome review! I really have to start mine. LOL

Cristina Monica Patty wrote: "GREAT REVIEW!!

Thank you, Patty! Haha, I don't mind caps! LOL Yes, exactly my thoughts! I liked the fact that she wasn't just there to fight as in her character. Same as you, and I'm so curious to know how he's character will play out in the sequels!

Cristina Monica Sakina wrote: "I haven't read the book as I have seen many mixed reviews for the book. So I am a little reluctant to pick it up.

Amazing review though!

Btw I never knew you were not a native English speaker!(s..."

Aww thanks girl, that's some awesome compliment (for me.) I'm actually Romanian living in Canada. :D And, for the book, absolutely recommended ;)

Sandy ღCoffee Addict Booksღ Great review Lola:)

Cristina Monica Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) wrote: "Ha! I knew you'd love this!! :D

Isn't the Darkling just amazing? *flutter..."

Hahah, well I'm glad to know we do share same interest in books :D I knew it before...but that just confirmed it ;)

Rrrrr, the Darkling. Can I eat him? *puppy eyes*

Cristina Monica Sandyღ wrote: "Great review Lola:)"

Sandee Lola wrote: "Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) wrote: "Ha! I knew you'd love this!! :D

Isn..."

We can share him. Hehe. It was love at first sight with Mal for me though. :) He was just really charming. Although... The Darkling is really... brooding and mysterious. Couldn't help not like him... despite... well you know.. :D

Cristina Monica I know!! Have you read the sequels?? I wonder what will happen. I really want him (view spoiler)

Okay for sharing :D

message 11: by Jasmine (new) - added it

Jasmine Amazing review Lola! ♥♥ I really love the sound of Alina, such a great heroine that I would enjoy reading! :) Gonna add this one to my TBR for my fantasy YA reads :D Glad you enjoyed this one!!

Hershey Darkling broke my precious little heart! I still haven't read the sequels! Planning to do it soon!

Great review, Lola :)

Cristina Monica Jasmine wrote: "Amazing review Lola! ♥♥ I really love the sound of Alina, such a great heroine that I would enjoy reading! :) Gonna add this one to my TBR for my fantasy YA reads :D Glad you enjoyed this one!!"

Oh, I would love to hear your thoughts on this one and know what you'll think of the Darkling. *.* Read it soon ;D Thank you xx

Sandee Lola wrote: "I know!! Have you read the sequels?? I wonder what will happen. I really want him [spoilers removed]

Okay for sharing :D"

(view spoiler)

Nah. Haven't read the second one yet or the novellas. When are you starting the second one? :)

Danielle. I am SO glad to see you've enjoyed this book, Lola! Yes, the Darkling is a mysterious yet VERY charming character--I'm definitely pro-him. Awesome review! :D

Cristina Monica Hershey wrote: "Darkling broke my precious little heart! I still haven't read the sequels! Planning to do it soon!

Great review, Lola :)"

I'm going to read book 2 this week since I ordered book 3 and the plot is all fresh in my memory. :D Thank you, Hershey! And, omg, I was so surprised when we discovered you-know-what about the Darkling.

Cristina Monica Sandee (The Whimsical Reader) wrote: "Lola wrote: "I know!! Have you read the sequels?? I wonder what will happen. I really want him [spoilers removed]

Okay for sharing :D"

[spoilers removed]

Nah. Haven't read the second one yet or..."

Oh, I actually did not really like Warner's change of personality. Ugh, but mostly the romance. I'll probably start it sometimes this week, since I ordered book 3 and want to read them as back to back as I can :D

Cristina Monica Lady Danielle wrote: "I am SO glad to see you've enjoyed this book, Lola! Yes, the Darkling is a mysterious yet VERY charming character--I'm definitely pro-him. Awesome review! :D"

I'm VERY pro-him too :D ooooooh, I want to be a Darkling too...though I would prefer being a Grisha hehe so he can be my servant LOL. In a certain way...

Kuroi Everybody loves the Darkling ^__^

message 20: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Amazing review as always Lovely!! So glad you love it! xo

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Awesome review Lola! = ))

message 22: by Ilze (new)

Ilze Wonderful review, Lola!

message 23: by Jodi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jodi Great review! I can't wait to read this!!

message 24: by Inge (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inge I think your English is amazing! Also, yeah, gotta love the Darkling hahaha <3

message 25: by TL (new) - rated it 3 stars

TL Excellent review Lola:)

Beatrix Wonderful review, Lola! I really must continue with this series!:)

Cristina Monica Krishna *wants to be a black wolf* wrote: "Everybody loves the Darkling ^__^"

hehe, well they're right about it xx

Cristina Monica Andrea wrote: "Amazing review as always Lovely!! So glad you love it! xo"

Thank you, Andrea!! :D

Cristina Monica SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Awesome review Lola! = ))"

Thank you, Sue!! :)

Cristina Monica Ilze wrote: "Wonderful review, Lola!"

Cristina Monica Jodi wrote: "Great review! I can't wait to read this!!"

Me too so I can know who you'll fall for; Mal or the Darkling ^^

Cristina Monica Inge wrote: "I think your English is amazing! Also, yeah, gotta love the Darkling hahaha <3"

Aww thanks a lot! I just love English (: Who could possibly resist him? *suggestive eyebrows*

Cristina Monica TL wrote: "Excellent review Lola:)"

Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ So glad you loved :)) I Adored this one-great review ♥

Cristina Monica Beatrix wrote: "Wonderful review, Lola! I really must continue with this series!:)

btw, you've only been reading in English for a year? ;O That's.. WOW! What's your mother tongue?"

Thank you, Filipa :D Yes, that would be great...we have to know what happens next.

It was hard at first but then it got better :) and my first language is Romanian. ^^

Cristina Monica Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ wrote: "So glad you loved :)) I Adored this one-great review ♥"

Thank you!! It's such an amazing story *.*

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review, adding this one.

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Awesome review Lola!!
Finally a five star one for you too! :)
xoxo

Lucia Amazing review :) Cannot wait to read it myself in the future!

message 40: by Brandi (new) - added it

Brandi Fantastic review, Lola! :)

Cristina Monica Marta♦♦Black Widow Baby♦♦ wrote: "Thanks for sharing your adventure in reading your first book in English. Sounded tortuous lol!

Good review, adding this one."

It was, Marta, you have no idea. ».» Hahah, but now it's fantastic. I love reading in English :)

Yay, hope you enjoy! xx

Cristina Monica Patty❤️❤️Belongs To❤️Kellan Kyle❤️AND❤️Jesse Ward❤️❤️ wrote: "Awesome review Lola!!
Finally a five star one for you too! :)
xoxo"

Yes, right? I love writing five star reviews yet I don't write many. :/ Thank you!! xoxo

Cristina Monica Lucia wrote: "Amazing review :) Cannot wait to read it myself in the future!"

Oh, if you like fantasy, you will love it!! Thank you xx

Cristina Monica Brandi wrote: "Fantastic review, Lola! :)"

Thank you, Brandi! :D

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Terrific review Lola! Glad this was a 5 star winner for you :)

Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤  Awesome review Lola <333 I loved it!!! :D

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing) I really liked this book, but I am definitely not a fan of the second. So incredibly boring.

message 48: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Wonderful review hun! Have this sitting on my shelf need to read it:D

Cristina Monica Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Terrific review Lola! Glad this was a 5 star winner for you :)"

Thanks a bunch Feifei!! :D

Cristina Monica Pavlina loves Dex ❤❤ wrote: "Awesome review Lola <333 I loved it!!! :D"

Yes :D!! Thank you xx