Alex Tiethoff's Reviews > The Hero of Ages

The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson

bookshelves: cosmere, fantasy, 2020, 3x
Read 2 times. Last read January 9, 2020 to February 8, 2020.

The Hero of Ages is about how the end of the world might not be a bad thing.

Vin and Elend are given an end to their story as the power couple, having searched their own depths, are able to turn toward saving the world.

Spook finally comes into his own yet finds that his success is wrapped up in Ruin's plans. His shame is instrumental in the world's salvation.

But it's Sazed the depressed Terrisman and his cynical yet desperate-for-hope takes on religion whose story Brandon is really here to tell.

This novel is Sanderson at his most Sanderson. The interplay if gods and humans. The existential, religious crisis. The emotionally insecure heroes. Lore that the reader somehow cares about that two books ago wouldn't have made any sense.

The Hero of Ages is key to the unfolding story of the Cosmere and an excellent novel in its own right.

Five stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero of Ages.

September 21, 2014 – Shelved
February 8, 2020 – Shelved as: 3x
February 8, 2020 – Shelved as: 2020
February 8, 2020 – Finished Reading
February 8, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Andy Zach Thanks for a great review Alex. My feelings were similar, but I would add the surprise at who the hero is at the end and the resolution of the world's problems were quite satisfying.

Also, I rate it at 4 stars. I reserve 5 stars for books that are still popular after 50 years. Do you think this will be one? I guess it's less than a 50% chance.

You may have any of my books if you wish to review them.